FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hacks & Mods - Add Yours!
View Single Post
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:49 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Being the OP on the magazine hack I too am considerate when deploying the hack and throughout the conversation that sometimes follows when the pax in front complains.

For starters, at best the space where recline is shared, no one passenger owns the space. Out of the 4.5 inches of recline, I don't have any problem with the pax wanting first 2 inches, it's the last 2.5 inches causing the problem.the biggest problem is on daytime transcontinental flights where the pax in front wants to fully recline for no apparent reason other than to grab the maximum amount of space available and no consideration for other pax around.

For starters I do not employ the hack when it obvious sleep time (eg departing or arriving late at night, international east bound TransAt, etc.).

Also the primary purpose of the hack is to save my laptop from getting destroyed. This hack requires the meal tray to be down. When I use the hack it is because I am also using the meal tray, either for laptop or for meal time.

For starters, recline is not an advertised feature that can form part of a complaint to regulatory authority. You cannot go before a regulatory body and say that you are owed compensation because airline X refused to provide you with a reclining seat.

Interesting that you brought up the light issue, I view recline and light to be in the same category of we all have to get along and compromise to make everyone mostly happy flight. I fully realize that while pax A wants to sleep pax B wants to get work done or just read a good book. This is where time of flight becomes the key deciding factor. I do not anticipate doing work on 9pm departure YYZ-YYC flight, so I would not employ the magazine hack nor would I turn on the overhead light. However 10am departure I would expect to be able to work and I d not anticipate the pax in front has a requirement to sleep.

I have experienced FA enquiries while employing the magazine hack. The key is to remain level headed non emotional throughout the conversation and offer valid reasons for my actions. Usually the other side has gone raving mad and their demeanour pushes the FAA over to my reason level headed approach. The other pax and I usually end up splitting the difference and they get 2 inch recline and I can continue to work.

There is one other argument up my sleeve, for 9 dollar buy on board purchase I can get the FA onto my side as it's now meal time. I also offer to buy the guy in front the first round as a compensation offer for their troubles.

I used to get offended at the mean comments such as d-bag, but now I actually search them out. See my comments above. For clarity, level headed calm approach almost always beats out foaming at the mouth mad.

See above, the moment you go raving mad and threaten to escalate the situation, the less chance you have of winning the day. So go ahead make my day. Watch for that little smile and twinkle in my eye when you raise the threat level with the FA right beside, for I have just won.
I never mentioned "getting raving mad". Simply saying that the seat "i" occupy , will be reclined how "i" see fit. I don't see an issue in using my seat as designed.
This being said I rarely recline my seat.