FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL
View Single Post
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:05 am
dcchi

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Let me jump on the down vote for the FS Marriott on Michigan Ave (Mag Mile). I've stayed there before in an unrenovated room and aside from the room view and location (which are both excellent), the stay was terrible (crowded like a zoo continually; totally tired rooms as others have said; etc.). As the saying goes, fool me twice, shame on me.

We stayed two nights on a great AAA weekend rate that included self-parking for $111. I won't stay at this Marriott again. Check in was again a zoo, with long lines and waits. We got a "renovated" room this time, but the miniscule bathroom is terrible. It's literally so small that you cannot have more than one person in there at once and where if anyone is using the facilities (ahem) there is literally no room to even open/close the door. They have a granite sink but the tub tiling is from the early 90s it seems like (Most RI/FFIs/etc. have much nicer bathrooms than this Marriott). Worst of all is the toilet. It drains like the 30 year old toilet it is.....EXTREMELY SLOWLY. Many sins can be forgiven with a nice powerful showerhead, but this one was only so-so really.

Room itself is decent size. VERY few free outlets to speak of (this is not a Marriott where they've redone the desk and it has those pretty nice outlet/plug modules...Instead, they added a couple of outlets under the desk which actually don't even work well...my iOS chargers kept falling out of them). No outlets by the bed/nightstand. Room was pretty cold because of a draft at the window (you can actually slide it open slightly to let air in but it was winter), and the thermostat never seemed to work even though we raised the temperature.

At check-in, because of elite status, told that since it was the weekend, they would provide 1000 points per night (2 nights = 2000 points) in lieu of breakfast since the lounge was closed. We'll see if that posts (I'm sure I'll have to chase Marriott for my PAG points too...)

The extra towels requested at check-in that were supposed to arrive never did until I called again.

The self-parking (across street at the "Row Parking Garage" at 50 E Ohio) was the only thing that worked pretty well (after checking in, brought garage ticket to valet stand to get it validated with in/out privileges.

But, like I said, this hotel is dropping off my list of downtown Chicago Marriott-brand hotels. I'd much rather stay at the RI/SHS on Dearborn, or any of the other Marriott brands just 1-3 blocks off of Michigan.