FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Am I just ignorantly blissful? I'm happy with UA.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:39 am
UA-NYC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 787fan
after all those praises I read on FT, i decided to try EXP match just for the fun of it

last friday I got a free sticker upgrade to AA domestic F cabin on a 5-hour non-premium transcon on a 738. the plane has that overpriced gogo WiFi, streaming entertainment but no movies are free, no in-seat live TV, better recline than UA F, roughly same level of service, and food quality only a small notch above UA (i'd rate AA as a B+ and UA as a B in food, but nothing totally drastic like what's portrayed here).

it was a decently pleasant experience (overall grading B+), but nothing like the "AA is infinitely better than UA in XYZ" that so many people love to proclaim. by the time I factor in their route network, the limited number of partners, potential challenges once they're combined in SOC, and the inflexible award routing rules, i've decided not to jump ship.

UA, despite its flaws in certain aspects, serves a Manhattan-based international traveler the best.
Glad you finally saw the light!

A few notes or clarifications:
- Hope you appreciated the "free" sticker UG...we all know that's not likely to happen on UA on a TCON...they even happen on the A321B
- Always, always buy Gogo ahead of time...all-day flat $16 rate. Very fair IMO.
- Agreed on service, it's not like you're getting CX/SQ
- New 738s are all getting seatback AVOD in F/Y (along with power)...I've been on a few, they're quite excellent planes
- Food...yes, unfortunately, with the post-9/1 cuts, AA is no longer heads and shoulders above UA quality-wise (just a big higher). Still nice to pre-order online, and of course flying RJs there's no comparison.

Fly AA as an EXP for the year and you'll appreciate the difference (much like FlyWorld, not a huge difference if flying in Y as a non-elite, or in your case, a single flight)...you are actually treated as the top customer on the airline. And this NYC-based mostly-business-traveler thinks AA/OW is just fantastic ^