FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Like" Button?
Thread: "Like" Button?
View Single Post
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:53 am
joshwex90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I purposely edited the content under each sub-title for the sake of brevity only!

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
This is a bad idea.

Sometimes, there's bad content
True, but there's no requirement of a dislike button. More often than not, when someone disagrees with a post, they post WHY they disagree. Contrast that with the myriad of posts that have nothing more than "+1" or "+100000" (plus the quoted OP since a post must have at least 5 characters)

Facebook doesn't have a dislike button, and while I feel there may be a need somewhat on Facebook, I still believe that there's less of a need here

Not clear how it will be used
I don't think there's a need for awards, just as there's no awards today for actually helpful post and/or frequent posters. The award or reward is knowing that you've helped people. Perhaps you can add something (akin to the "FlyerTalk Evangelist") such as "Super Helpful Poster" after he/she gets numerous thanks or likes to their posts. That does give value, and I would argue that that gives significantly more value to other posters than a FT posting title. (Who do you trust more, inherently? A "FlyerTalk Posting Legend" with nothing else, or a measly "FlyerTalk Evangelist" that's also a "Super Helpful Poster?")

There's no clear benefit to FT
Sure there is - it helps significantly cut down clutter AND can in the long-term, if rolled out right, give more value to others by knowing that said poster is really helpful. For example, I know that WineCountryUA is one of the most helpful posters out there on the UA forum. Not only does he/she answer tons of posts, but does so quickly, continues to provide information, and that information is invariably correct. But I am active on said forum.

For someone coming over from a different forum, or a newbie on FT, knowing that WineCountryUA was a "Super Helpful Poster" would help give more weight to said posts.

Potential for abuse
I'd argue that shows the benefit to a "like" button just the same, if not more so. I agree OMNI/PR could be a problem, but why throw out the baby with the bathwater?

Other options
Not sure if intentional or not, but the link posted was the same. Do you mean that the same admin was showing both a potential for abuse and another option, or did you mean to post 2 different links?

I also "dislike" the idea of having a link to every thread I've "liked" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-profiles.html.
I'm not seeing this. Is this something visible to everyone? (Meaning, can I see your like stats?)