"Like" counters now appear in FT profiles [Update: now off]

Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Likes Given
under Mini Statistics at top of right hand column
(above Friends, Albums, Group Memberships, Recent Visitors)

just experimenting with code?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:09 am
Suspended

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ke-button.html
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

so everyone is aware that it is already there?

Originally Posted by nsx
Update: A limited scope trial is off the table for now due to other development priorities.
Originally Posted by kipper
Has it been determined if IB's current feature that is active for moderators shows a list of the precise postings they have been liked for or liked is returned?
Originally Posted by nsx
It has not been turned on yet as far as I know. Anyway I haven't seen it yet.
Originally Posted by JDiver
TalkBoard has requested a thirty day poll, and as Internet Brands prefers "Helpful" to "Like", that is the term used in the poll.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 19, 2014 at 11:23 am
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so everyone is aware that it is already there?
Obviously I was saying that's where the existing, extensive discussion of this already exists.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

a new thread lets people know about something significant (that just happened?) that is not being discussed in that thread

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 19, 2014 at 3:55 pm
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
From what I can tell in the other thread the CommunityDirector is doing a 'trial' of a like feature in the private mod forum. However, it looks like when IB turned the trial on it turned the like summary report on for everyone.

While the like button itself feature does not exist for the rest of FT (nor should it IMO until the poll is done, more input sought, and a decision is made whether to even move forward with this), the likes given/received button now appears in all FTers profiles, not just the mods participating in the trial.

One of the things I mentioned in the other thread is having that visible is something I do not want to see & I think there are others who will feel the same.

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

interesting

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/members/nsx.html some mods (and non-mod/TB) showing higher than 0

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 19, 2014 at 3:39 pm
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:09 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
From what I can tell in the other thread the CommunityDirector is doing a 'trial' of a like feature in the private mod forum. However, it looks like when IB turned the trial on it turned the like summary report on for everyone.
Correct. The feature is enabled for TalkBoard members and moderators so that we can see what it looks like and comment on it without disrupting all of FlyerTalk. I recommend reading the discussion in the TalkBoard Topics forum if you are interested in this subject, then voting in the poll there.

Since Internet Brands is using an existing plug-in, there may be some discrepancies in visibility. It's nothing to worry about.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nsx
Correct. The feature is enabled for TalkBoard members and moderators so that we can see what it looks like and comment on it without disrupting all of FlyerTalk. I recommend reading the discussion in the TalkBoard Topics forum if you are interested in this subject, then voting in the poll there.

Since Internet Brands is using an existing plug-in, there may be some discrepancies in visibility. It's nothing to worry about.
Bolding mine: Says one person's opinion who's pushing the issue without (imho) being completely up front
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx

Spare me the patronizing tone. You're obviously aware that I've kept up w/ the discussion re: the like feature in the other thread since I've posted in it, including as recently as this morning.

You totally missed the point of my post in this thread. The likes received/given are showing up in everyone's profile, regardless of whether they're involved in the private trial.

One of the points I made in the like thread is that not all FTers will want a public accounting/viewing of likes given/received available to everyone. This obviously shows that masking that may not be an option, given that regular FTers are not involved in the trial but it's showing up anyway in our profiles. So

Quite frankly I think the poll should have been completed first to determine whether to even move forward with a trial. It also concerns me that there's a trial going that doesn't incorporate some of the suggestions and/or concerns being raised in the like button thread.

But back to the topic of this thread. I would like a definitive answer from IB on whether (if by chance like gets implemented) FTers can opt-out of having likes given/received showing up in their profile or if it's something we're going to be stuck with even if we don't support it.

Cheers.
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by nsx

Spare me the patronizing tone. You're obviously aware that I've kept up w/ the discussion re: the like feature in the other thread since I've posted in it, including as recently as this morning.

You totally missed the point of my post in this thread. The likes received/given are showing up in everyone's profile, regardless of whether they're involved in the private trial.

One of the points I made in the like thread is that not all FTers will want a public accounting/viewing of likes given/received available to everyone. This obviously shows that masking that may not be an option, given that regular FTers are not involved in the trial but it's showing up anyway in our profiles. So

Quite frankly I think the poll should have been completed first to determine whether to even move forward with a trial. It also concerns me that there's a trial going that doesn't incorporate some of the suggestions and/or concerns being raised in the like button thread.

But back to the topic of this thread. I would like a definitive answer from IB on whether (if by chance like gets implemented) FTers can opt-out of having likes given/received showing up in their profile or if it's something we're going to be stuck with even if we don't support it.

Cheers.
Bolding mine: And what Sharon says IS something to worry about!
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:21 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: Says one person's opinion who's pushing the issue without (imho) being completely up front
I agree.
Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: And what Sharon says IS something to worry about!
Exactly!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:20 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

Quite frankly I think the poll should have been completed first to determine whether to even move forward with a trial.
Sharon, my post was directed at readers, just confirming your information to them. Of course I know that you know what you're talking about, but other readers might appreciate confirmation of that.

The current internal test was initiated by Carol on her own. Blame her if you want but I don't. It's helpful for TalkBoard to see one example of what we're discussing. Don't take this as some beta test when it's just "give us what you've got off the shelf with no customization". We don't even have the word Like changed to Helpful, for goodness sake. That doesn't matter for an internal look at the functionality.

As to whether the counts are visible to others or not, I don't know whether or not that is easily configurable. However I do know that one feature we want is not yet available: enabling the button for some forums but not others. Given that some development work will probably be needed, it makes sense for us to list the set of features we want without regard to whether they are currently implemented.

The TalkBoard can then, eventually, express an opinion of whether or not we recommend proceeding with the capabilities IB is willing to implement. Right now the whole thing is quite hypothetical.

We are still trying to discover what would be the best version of reader feedback. Then we will decide whether we think that version is good enough to use. I have promoted this discussion, but I don't presume that the final answer will be Yes. For example, if we can't disable the feature by forum, I would expect any sitewide trial to fail badly in OMNI/PR.

I am confident that TalkBoard will reach the right answer for FlyerTalk on this issue, even if that answer is to make no change. We still have a long way to go to gather all the information necessary to make that decision. IMHO gathering more information is better. It's good to find and describe all the flaws and hazards, but it's not helpful to treat every attempt as the final proposal which must be defeated. That's not information gathering.

I'd be surprised if anything other than a short trial happens on reader feedback any time before next Autumn. We need to take the time to do it right.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"Like" changing to "helpful" is like airlines renaming "fuel surcharge" to "carrier surcharge": same purpose, with or without the word games. Is that why this already underway trial of "like" should be considered the same as a trial for "helpful"?

I would like to thank the OP for starting this thread. I wasn't aware that the rating/reputation feature in member profiles is already showing and that the trial is underway.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
feature is enabled for TalkBoard
i would have thought some TB would have posted about it

Originally Posted by JonNYC
discussion of this
Originally Posted by nsx
I recommend reading
to clarify my post, this was not discussed in the linked thread, that was the entire point of this thread, being titled the way it was. after JonNYC's post, i went back a little more in thread, and found the quote i posted about no "trial." i was just surprised that there was not discussion of the change in the linked thread, surprised if i was first to notice.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 19, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.