FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:09 am
aacharya
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kymiller
This site is great, such useful information, I am learning the ways of award mile ninjadom but wanted to get the communities opinion on an upcomming flight I need to take.

Dates - Jan 29/30 (FRI/SAT) - Feb 7/8 (SAT/SUN).
Destination - SFO - LHR/CDG

Business class is $8k or I can get a $1.5k W fare ticket and use one of my wife's GPUs, who is 1k. Or i can use award miles but round trip the business class will cost 300,000 (no saver awards available).

What is the better day to travel...
Is W fareclass enough to get an upgrade...What city am I more likely to get upgrading flying into? LHR or CDG?
Can anybody estimate the odds that my GPU will be processed?

Any other thoughts? My wife will be traveling on paid business class fare for business so I would like a high probability of being upgraded. Anybody with experiences with similar routes, please chime in!
I would say Friday outbound, and Saturday inbound. Avoids some of the business fliers. As for not having Saver Business - the availability of Saver Business is not directly linked to off-season - as tourists don't fly business.

The facts on your particular flight (number of J seats available, number of E+ seats, current pricing buckets, etc) will determine the chances.