Old Dec 13, 14, 9:52 am
Joe1690

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Yes, I used this benefit for the first time last month. The process isn't perfect because in my situation I was booking the hotel the day prior to departure.

The typical process is:

1) Call concierge department and they verify you are eligible for the benefit
2) The concierge takes down your information with regards to hotel arrival date, departure date, and any specific hotels you are looking for or a specific price range
3) Your information is submitted to Carlson Wagonlit Travel to price out various options
4) Within 24 hours of your initial phone call you will receive an email with proposals for various hotels

In my situation, since 24 hours wouldn't work, they were able to patch me through to a travel representative who looked at the 3 or 4 hotels I was investigating and provided quotes. When I asked whether these rates were qualifying rates for hotel loyalty amenities as well as points she was unsure and said she would get back to me within the next 2-3 hours. I also wanted to verify whether the hotel could honor a non-smoking request since the room-type didn't specify this.

After several hours of time, they were able to confirm everything and the reservation was points earning eligible and I did receive an upgrade. However, when I couldn't view the reservation on the hotel website, I called up the hotel company directly to verify whether my Hotel loyalty number was added to the reservation and it had not. I also asked if they could request an upgrade if possible and they did notate this.

However, as of today I still have not received a refund and the stay was concluded approximately 1 week prior to my statement closing and the purchase amount did show up on my December Statement. So this seems to be a 1-2 billing cycle credit in reality after your stay. I may have to fight for it but the documentation that Carlson Wagonlit sends tells you that the 4th night is free so it should be easy to request the statement credit if it doesn't post by my January statement.