FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip reprt: Longitude 131°, overpriced luxury in the Australian Outback (Uluru)
Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:27 am
NYBanker

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Thanks for the comprehensive review. The property sounds like there have already been some improvements under the Baillie family's watch. While you didn't like the communal table and perhaps found ther portions small, it sounds like you did like the food at least.

When considering the price, recognize of course the challenges running a high-end property in this location....non-trivial and certainly expensive. While none of the Baillie properties are inexpensive, when you factor in the normal hotel price for food and beverage - perhaps $200 per day per person, and the cost of the excursions....again, a few hundred per day...the "real" room rate comes down to $1,200 for two people per night. This compares to Sails, the next highest property there (in the main loop of hotels) which charges over $600 per night an is little more than a Holiday Inn. While not cheap by any means, the room price feels in-line to me.

When I visited, I rented a car which gave me the flexibility to go where I wanted when I wanted. The cost wasn't high...I'm very glad I did it. The reality of getting on a tour bus at an appointed hour does not appeal to me. I'd recommend the car for anyone visiting.

Thanks for posting all the photos.