Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Trip reprt: Longitude 131°, overpriced luxury in the Australian Outback (Uluru)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip reprt: Longitude 131°, overpriced luxury in the Australian Outback (Uluru)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
we were drivivng when we visited uluru, headed up the back way to Alice Springs. (Meneerie Loop SP?) Fantastic drive.

However when we inquired with Lat 131 about how to handle our car, they insisted we needed to park it in town and only use their shuttles back and forth.

Screw that.

We drove early before tour buses arrived, lots of hiking and biking. Uluru and the Olgas. even over 110F, it was fantastic. Definitely liked doing our own thing. I hate being in groups, and 131 seemed to be designed to eliminate DIY types.

Sails was surprisingly OK. Had a garden suite, might nave been $350? eh, given the location I was OK with the pricing. Didnt feel like it was WAY out of line.

Oh, sunrise helicopter trip... OMG. It was utterly amazing

After being on the fence about 'going out there to see a rock'...my wife says 'we should go back'.

obscure2k and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Jan 7, 2019 at 4:14 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

baillies just sold SOL and longitude to american KSL
baillies retained capella and proposed tasmania

saffire opened 2 years after SOL, owner doesnt care re profit

only 17 rooms, accepts kids 10+
what about new dune pavilion?
longitude131.com.au/stay/dune-pavilion
Australia’s only accommodation offering views of both World Heritage-listed Uluru and Kata Tjuta...outdoor deck with daybed, fireplace and the ultimate in desert style: a private plunge pool...Extras for guests in the Dune Pavilion include a curated bar and private dining options for breakfast and sunset drinks (subject to timing of guest itinerary).
separately, private dinner
longitude131.com.au/eat-drink/dinner
dinner on the dune-top provides a memorable setting. Dine under the stars in one of four secluded alcoves, the perfect spot to savour fine company and cuisine and the breathtaking setting. An additional tariff of $300 per couple applies (minimum 2 guests, maximum 6) and the fee may vary depending on logistics and requirements. Dune-top dining may be booked prior to arrival or during the stay at Longitude 131°. (Dune-top dining operates subject to weather and outdoor conditions).

longitude131.com.au/experience/bespoke-experiences
private expedition...and airport transfers on a private basis
private touring half day / full day
private guided explorations by 4WD or air
private transfer uluru
private transfer kata tjuta
external touring options
[private scenic helicopter airport transfer]

wonder if they allow 1 night if booking a few hours before 2pm checkin
also wonder if properties allow kids when booking private meals & tours

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 7, 2019 at 11:33 am
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Pretty jarring to read these reviews. The price tag isn’t that crazy but the service is hardly luxury when you have to ask that many questions and get turned away or upcharged! That parking policy is dealbreaker to me
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:49 am

I was turned off by the comments on this thread, but then looked at the review from Mr.andMrs.Smith. They loved it, but then did they go for free? Supposedly they have special activies that are included in the price. Will have to research further. Friends have gone to Sails, and thought it was great, but had to pay extra for dinners, etc. I will have to crunch some numbers.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:47 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
I went seven years ago and loved it but then it may well have changed quite a lot. And I may have changed to expectation too.
LinLant likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:46 am

Whilst in Laucala last year, during one of their celebration evenings where you can dine with other guests, the topic of "most disappointing hotel you've ever stayed in" came up, and Longitude 131 seemed to win - and I've not even been, so couldn't vote on it. Most of the guests spent more to get to Laucala than I do on my annual holidays, so even the almighty rich still thought it was a rip off.
LinLant likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
so even the almighty rich still thought it was a rip off.
The amount you can spend says nothing about the question if you spend it and if you feel your money was well invested.....

Beside this clever-dick saying I really think no matter how much money I have I will always have an eye on value and I hat to be riped off. If something is overpriced it stays overpriced, even if the price is note mentionable for me.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

longitude has paid private options, cost is irrelevant if other properties at uluru do not have private options

room count (and occupancy and min age) can be valued highly or not at all

likely baillies sold because of costs, likely same would apply for tasmania if they get it built (selling for more after built) but they may hold capella lodge on lord howe island

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 9, 2019 at 10:17 am
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:04 pm

Just finished up 5 days in the NT, including 2 nights at Longitude and the rest along Red Centre Way, finishing in Alice Springs. Before commenting on Longitude, I must say what a surprise the NT has been, it’s incredible.

Now on to Longitude. I have been looking to go to the red centre for years and considering Longitude, but Longitude looked tragic for the price, so never ended up going. After the Baillies takeover and renovations around 2017, it started to look a lot more luxury and reviews started to turn positive. So after much deliberation for this trip, we bit the bullet and went. In the end, our justification was it was going to be 2x the price of doing the same thing staying at sails. We concluded that it was probably going to be at least 2x a better experience.

Long and the short of it: is it expensive: yes. Is it worth it: yes.

we had a phenomenal stay at longitude. Location is incredible, service is pretty much perfect, quality of experiences etc. wonderful. It really is a magical place.

we moved onto kings canyon afterwards. Everywhere is unreasonably expensive in the NT I.e. you can get a room at the four seasons Hk for the same price as kings canyon resort. So as soon as we got there, we again thought it made the longitude price looks more than reasonable.

I wouldn’t hesitate to stay at Longitude if going to Uluru, and based on our experience, the Red Centre overall is a must!! Truly spectacular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.