FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:36 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
And if your ticket is on UA stock, you can't even pay Air Canada for advance seat selection ... much less purchase extra legroom seating for yourself. (It's an AC IT glitch. They can't figure out a way to charge you for the "frill" of seat selection when your ticket is on UA stock).
It appears that I did receive seat assignments on my UA-issued ticket: I just cannot edit them, nor can I buy up to Plus. (Yet, anyway.)

On the AC site, my ticket type is listed as "Flex, X". Flex appears to be the category of ticket in AC lexicon; X is (I think) the Star Alliance partner award bucket.

So maybe this is one oddball case where booking an award is actually better than buying a revenue ticket? UA would have issued it and I'd see it as Tango(?) instead of Flex?

Originally Posted by smoothride
To answer your question in regards to pilots and aircraft; the planes are essentially Air Canada planes, undergoing the same maintenance, and line maintenance, as Air Canada mainline.

The pilots are Air Canada pilots, represented by the Air Canada Pilots Association, and can switch between mainline and rouge positions throughout their career, as if it were any other pilot position in Air Canada.

You have the same experienced and professional pilots up front as you do on mainline, all coming from either the Embraer 190, Airbus 319/320/321, or the 767 at mainline. The average captain experience is probably anywhere from 15,000 to 25,000 hours at rouge. A First Officer would most likely have a minimum of 10 years flying experience outside of Air Canada, plus whatever experience they have acquired within the company. All pilots are trained in the same simulators at the same facility, and by the same team of instructors, be it rouge or mainline.
Thank you for that response...it's quite helpful. ^ Concern that an 22-year-old is flying my 767 is gone: now I can go back to worrying about the kids flying my regular United Express flights.