FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:17 am
AlwaysAisle

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ordbkk
I have a similar itinerary to the poster above, but worse due to the change in airlines:

UA 881 ORD-NRT, arriving 4:30 PM
JL 729 NRT-CGK, departing 6:50 PM

How much time will it take to claim luggage from UA, navigate to JL's terminal, and re-check luggage there? I'm sure 2 hours is more than enough, but deck is stacked against us as far as arriving on time (UA + ORD in winter).
United operates at Terminal 1 South at NRT, where Japan Airlines operates at Terminal 2 at NRT. You will arrive at Terminal 1 South and take a transfer bus to Terminal 2. Once at arrival at NRT out of the aircraft follow a sign for connection passengers and once you show your connecting information to Japan Airlines you will be directed to a transfer bus to Terminal 2.

You do need to go through security screening again at NRT, but your bags should be checked all the way to Jakarta at Chicago O’Hare. You will not collect your checked baggage at NRT. However, if you have two separate tickets ORD-NRT and NRT-CGK then some airlines have different baggage policies. You want to check with UA (the airline checking your baggage at ORD) regarding that. I am AA/OneWorld person so I am not that familiar with UA/Star Alliance situations.