FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Hawaiian Airlines A330" thread
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:27 pm
asu-ua772

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Originally Posted by azj
You have to remember that until the JFK flight, the domestic service was basically a 5 hour flight to the west coast. Comparatively, HAL's domestic F is on par with the competitors and maybe even exceeds and is often sold out on a daily basis. The JFK flight and international flights are another story. Given the fact HAL doesn't have a dedicated sub fleet for int'l flights, their cabins serve dual purpose and you get the same seat for both long and short flights. That's the nature of a small boutique carrier.
This...especially the last two sentences.

My hunch is once the A330-800s arrive (if not sooner), they'll have little choice but to create a "subfleet" of 330s with a lie-flat type premium cabin if they want to stay competitive in the int'l market. I would think that at 28 A330s (includes the 338s) + the remaining 767s, there would be sufficient mass for a subfleet to occur. The current F seat is sufficient for West Coast + Tahiti but lags big-time in the longhaul int'l flights (+ JFK)...I bet they're losing out on untapped revenue having to price the current F seats (sold as C) at steep discounts on the longhaul int'l flights.