FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:55 am
montezume

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by work2fly
Thanks, but not really helpful.

Our initial check in is with UA, and if I tell them we won't be flying the last segment, there is likely no way we'll get the bags short checked.

We'll be told if we want to fly any of the segments, we and our bags will need to be checked in on all of the segments open for check in, which will likely be all the way.

It seems I can ask to be offloaded at a transfer desk, at TK check in, or TK baggage claim. Since our bags will need to clear customs, I'm guessing somewhere in the transit area would be the best first place to ask.

Surely, I'm not the first person on a woodcutter who will need to retrieve a checked bag when I'm finished flying the segments I want to fly. I understand the risks I'm taking, and if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.
There's no magic way of accomplishing this. You're doing something that airlines loathe. The best bet is to hope for a nice agent.