FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:47 pm
Goldorak
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Review of Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit

This was my 1st stay in this hotel. Last time I was in Bangkok (about 2 years ago), I tried the Sofitel So. I had a good stay there but had overall mixed feelings about it (style of some rooms + a few minor issues during the stay). As a I was spending 6 nights in BKK, I decided to split the stay in 2 : 3 nights at each. Please see the Sofitel So thread for the report on this stay.

Hotel lobby of Sofitel Sukhumvit

I arrived very late in the evening (midnight), so the lobby was deserted and of course the club lounge is closed at that time, so check-in was done at the regular front desk.
I had booked a luxury room (park view) and was upgraded one level without asking (in fact the upgrade and all platinum benefits were confirmed by e-mail before my stay, so no bad surprise). The room was a corner one with 2 nice views (one down on the swimming pool). The room included an incredible Bose player and powerful speakers (very nice to listen to your music from your phone or to watch a movie as the TV sound was played through this system. A (minimal) fruit plate was put in the room before my arrival (a bit disapponting compared to other Sofitel in this region).

On the down side regarding the room, some furnitures were showing stains/discolourations and signs of aging. They should really pay attention to this.

The swimming pool from my room and at the pool itself

Club lounge access was granted of course. I took the breakfast there. The buffet is not huge but sufficient for my needs at breakfast.

In the evening, the lounge was always busy and twice during my stay, they even opened the breakfast area to have some more seating. But I want to precise that it was busy but not crowded (which would have been very unpleasant). The wines proposed were good as well as the canapés. Excellent staff at the lounge, always smiling (but this is Thailand, right ?). They also helped me efficiently for a flight booking change.

I used my drink voucher at the roof top bar, a nice place to have a drink at night.

This Sofitel is definitely a more classical one than the So and I really enjoyed my stay, and I may have a preference for it (it is closer in style and atmosphere to the former Sofitel Silom that I liked a lot). The localization in town is also more convenient than the So. But...I had also an outstanding service (and an in credible room) at the So for my 2nd set of 3 nights (see specific thread). So now I still don't know which one I prefer ! Both have their pros & cons but both are, for sure, great Sofitel.

Last edited by Goldorak; Nov 16, 2014 at 4:02 pm