FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SO/ Bangkok
Thread: SO/ Bangkok
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:52 pm
Goldorak
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Review of Sofitel So Bangkok

This was my 2nd stay in this hotel. The 1st one was a bit more than 2 years ago when the hotel was still in soft opening. It was a good stay but I was not puzzled by the hotel as I had 1st an earth element room which I really disliked and so they gave me a wood element room which was OK but not outstanding + a few minor issues during the stay. But this 2nd stay was outstanding in almost all aspects :-::-::-:. As already explained in the Sofitel Sukhumvit thread, I was spending 6 nights in BKK, so I decided to split the stay in 2 : 3 nights at each Sofitel. Please see the Sofitel Sukhumvit thread for the report on this stay.

When I booked (a So Comfy room with Lumphini park view), I asked in the remark section that I wanted either water or metal element room. A few days before my stay, I send an e-mail to the hotel asking about platinum benefits. Response came quickly, but contrarily to Sofitel Sukhumvit and Macau, they were not mentioning the room upgrade (but they were mentioning club lounge access). I did not investigate it at that time and decided to see this at the hotel if needed (and you will read hereafter that it was indeed needed).

Upon arrival, I was directed immediately to the lounge for checking-in. They gave me a metal element room. At that time I forgot about the upgrade and it's when I arrived in the room that I realized that they did not mention it in the e-mail and at check-in. The room was very nice and I really liked it.

But reading the room description in my booking, clearly the room attributed was fitting perfectly with it, so no upgrade was granted . I then tried to make a dummy booking on Accor web site and many room types were available, including all the suites. So I went back to the lounge, said that there was really nothing wrong with the room but enquired about the lack of upgrade. The response was "oh but we had upgraded you because we have granted you club lounge access" . I replied that this was another benefit of the program but room upgrade, if available, is another separate platinum benefit. The attendant then checked for availability of suites and of course I did mention to him that I checked on-line and that there were suites available. After a few. Minutes of search, he said that he has a nice suite available, earth element. As I said above, I really dislike those rooms but I asked to see it to decide after. Without surprise, this room was not for me (although it was huge and definitely an upgrade). So I said that I preferred to keep my current room. As no other suites were available this day, he then promised me something better for the next 2 nights. And he really kept his promise !

Here are some pictures of the lounge.

The wines proposed at the lounge during the free evening cocktail time are just average (less good than the ones proposed at Sukhumvit). Snacks are OK. I wanted to use the drink voucher at the roof top bar but the voucher is only valid at the Mixo bar on the 9th floor. This is a bit ridiculous IMO.

The mixo bar :

The roof top bar :

The pool view on Lumphini park and beautiful Bangkok skyline is really amazing, especially at sunset. This view (that you have also from many rooms) is one of the strongest point of this hotel IMO.

The following day, I then enquired about the new room. They said that I would surely like it and that they have a regular customer who always want this one. When he opened the door I was just breathless and said WOW . This was still a metal element room but the biggest hotel room I ever had stayed in. Of course still with a view on the park, but a panoramic view. I said Immediately that the room was fitting perfectly my needs !!! You can see below some pictures of the room. I tried also a panoramic picture with my phone. This was a So Lofty room, a very very nice upgrade indeed ^. The bathroom was almost as large as my home living room !

The lounge staff has been also very kind and efficient to help me for various things (flight booking change, restaurant and theater reservations, etc).
So this stay has been top notch even if it was annoying to ask for something that is part of the program and that other Sofitel visited during the same trip had no problem with. But, at this hotel, every time you mention a problem, they sort it out right (it was the same during my 1st stay for the few issues I had).

In conclusion, a great stay .

Last edited by Goldorak; Nov 16, 2014 at 4:04 pm