FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Like" Button?
Thread: "Like" Button?
View Single Post
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:55 am
Flyertall

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
That is where I came to this Talkboard thread from. I am in principal against the idea of a like button though. Some of the least liked posters give the best advice.

And now here I come too, the guilty party behind the post that brought Gralistair and jackal back here. Allow me please to better explain my post.

First, I don't have a Facebook account, so I don't really know what "Likes" on facebook are about.

However, I do participate on forums that use forum software almost identical to, if not exactly like, the forum software this forum uses.

In this forum software, the word "like" is not the word used to approve a post. In fact, the word "approve" is used. In another forum software that has a different format than this forum, the word "like" is used.

Nevertheless, in both cases... the "approval" is bestowed to the post, not the poster. The reward is directed to the specific instance of behavior, not the perceived general character or likeability of the poster.

On these other forums I participate in, that are related to the industry in which I work, I have found myself in debate with another member who I entirely disagree with, but I will still "like" his post that rips my argument to shreds, because of the salient points he made in his argument.

Even though he disagrees with me, and I remain unconvinced and unmoved by his points, I will still "approve" of his post because of the strength of his argument. Why would I do that? Because THAT is the kind of forum I want to return to. That is the kind of forum that I want to engage in.

Now, had the person whose points I disagreed with resorted to name calling or snide remarks, then no, I woudn't like or approve his/her post, and perhaps no other mature adult would either. And the absence of approval sends the message that no one cares for that kind of name calling, or no one cares one way or another about the post period. Which happens more often than not.

But when a post is approved, by more then one person, that encourages the poster to return to the forum with more quality contributions. With more useful information. With more engaging debate, where the position is challenged, not the poster.

I think it is a nice system, but have seen it abused. I've also observed that there are counter measures to that abuse that are automated in the forum software, but not being a forum administrator, I cannot speak to exactly how those counter measures work.

Anyway, it is just a suggestion whose intent was to give forum readers another way to encourage quality posts that are helpful to the members who read them. This in turn benefits the poster who took the time and trouble to author a good post, because she or he can see the feedback of approval. This in turn, helps new members get an idea of how helpful or informative various posters have been during their tenure on the forums. This encourages more people to be conscious of their verbal behavior on the forum. This in turn makes a better forum, which brings more eyeballs and traffic to the site, which I imagine will lead to the financial payback that allows the forum to continue to serve the members.

Ok, then I woke up.

I realize that no system is perfect, just as no community is. But let me close with one more thought...

I've been trying to read through the 108 page DYKWIA thread on the Delta board. Really amazing stories found there. Reading that thread has helped me become a better flyer already. Just being aware of the extremes that GAs and FAs have to endure from passengers, particularly Medallion members, makes me want to hide my BP and board in Zone 4. While I have never done what I've read about in that thread, now that I've read quite a bit of that thread, I resolve never to even mention status to a an airline employee, for any reason, no matter what status they grant me. I don't ever want to be lumped into that DYKWIA pile of work woes in their minds.

Without that thread, without the insight of stories that I never witnessed, without the knowledge of these anecdotal examples of what is good human behavior and what is really, really awful... I can see how one can drift away from recognizing ones own faux pas that step on the mental toes of others.

Rather than scolding for what is bad, rewarding for what is good is an encouraging way to raise the expectations of better behavior. Sometimes, we just need a little insight from others to steer straighter. At least I do.