FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cape Town: Rent-a-Car / Transportation Rentals
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:38 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
Hi, Happy. A couple of thoughts.

We used our UK Amex Platinum card for our SA rentals extras. We usually used prepaid rates so this was just for extras - any parking or speeding fines or the refueling scam - the rental companies at CPT add on what seems to be an automatic refueling fee even if you fill up at the BP station at the airport. Not much, but annoying.

We used the UK AmEx plat for an insurance claim (tire/wheel) and it was paid promptly without deduction. I stress the UK card as your AmEx may have different coverage.

Picking up a car at PLZ and returning it at CPT usually incurs a drop off fee of ZAR 500-600.

Try to think outside of using chain hotels. In Cape Town and Western Cape, I have stayed at the Hilton, Radisson, Westin, DoubleTree, several City Lodges and Proteas and more. All were fine but using chain hotels can limit you. SA has so many other opportunities, including the B&Bs mentioned in your first paragraph. They are usually of very high standard with excellent accommodation and 'English' breakfasts, usually wi-fi, often pools.

Keep the car or not? Only you can tell. I'd be inclined to keep it, unless staying in the CBD where parking could be difficult and expensive.

Enjoy!
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the very helpful info.

Yes our AMEX Plat is the US version, so the benie could very well be different. We just had a small claim on scratches on an alloy wheel sustained at Brittany, 110 euro. Filed claim online with attachments. AMEX took care of it in a week after submitting claim. The important thing is the claim examiner initiated contact with us via email once the claim was assigned an examiner. This is a much better experience than what we have had with MC Rental.

Right now I need to figure out the rental car CDW coverage situation. Yes I know about the $50 to $60 oneway drop off fee. Not an issue as it means no backtracking.

It depends on where one is visiting on what hotels to use, but if the limitation on using chain hotels is not too much, using chain hotels would be MUCH cheaper because here I am taking about reward nights - no, they are not free but obtained with very low costs, often 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of going for an independent, The Radisson would cost $33 a night using reward night for example. Hilton would be higher. Haven't checked DT or SPG (should be the most costly among all chain hotel options). So there is another factor involved - the pocket factor.

Original plan is to just do PLZ to CPT but since we have 12 to 13 days, I am now entertaining the idea of using 7 to 8 days on this portion, then upon flying back to JNB, go to Kruger for a few days. Issue is of course that means a long drive back to JNB for the 8pm flight if we dont want to waste a day at JNB. Also late Feb might not be the optimal time to visit Kruger - very hot and rainy / humid.

Thoughts appreciated from anyone who cares to post.