FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cape Town: Rent-a-Car / Transportation Rentals
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:26 am
Roger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Hi, Happy. A couple of thoughts.

We used our UK Amex Platinum card for our SA rentals extras. We usually used prepaid rates so this was just for extras - any parking or speeding fines or the refueling scam - the rental companies at CPT add on what seems to be an automatic refueling fee even if you fill up at the BP station at the airport. Not much, but annoying.

We used the UK AmEx plat for an insurance claim (tire/wheel) and it was paid promptly without deduction. I stress the UK card as your AmEx may have different coverage.

Picking up a car at PLZ and returning it at CPT usually incurs a drop off fee of ZAR 500-600.

Try to think outside of using chain hotels. In Cape Town and Western Cape, I have stayed at the Hilton, Radisson, Westin, DoubleTree, several City Lodges and Proteas and more. All were fine but using chain hotels can limit you. SA has so many other opportunities, including the B&Bs mentioned in your first paragraph. They are usually of very high standard with excellent accommodation and 'English' breakfasts, usually wi-fi, often pools.

Keep the car or not? Only you can tell. I'd be inclined to keep it, unless staying in the CBD where parking could be difficult and expensive.

Enjoy!