FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cape Town: Rent-a-Car / Transportation Rentals
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:15 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CFFrost
There will be a significant hold, but you should be fine using a Plat (NPSL) especially if you are putting other expenses on different cards. I don't remember the exact amount the hold, but if I recall correctly the hold is for the amount of the deductible for the policy you choose through the rental company. There was also an additional hold for the GPS. I know your card may include insurance coverage, but I do not think it is possible to rent a car without an insurance policy in SA.

As far as whether to keep the car or not, that all just depends on how much you value flexibility vs. cost. If you keep the car there will likely be times you will still want to just take a cab or an Uber - (Uber works well in Cape Town, both are very cheap) or get a ride with the tour operator if you do that, as most will pick up from the hotel. If you're a wine drinker you'll never want to drive if you're heading to dinner, for example, as wines in SA are cheap and delicious.

We had an EXCELLENT stay at the Conrad Pezula in Knysna along the garden route. The in-room wood-burning fireplace was a real treat. The Hilton Cape Town was very good for what it was, but I wouldn't call it a high end property.
So how do you handle the rental car insurance, given the deductible is very high as in "significant hold", what is the usage of the coverage, if there even any at all? But once you take out the insurance with the rental car companies, your CC would no longer provide the coverage, not even the deductible amount... I know in countries where insurance is mandatory such as Australia and NZ, AMEX and MC simply exclude those countries, as well as countries like Israel and Northern Ireland (for other obvious reasons). I dont see any card excludes South Africa.

Visa does not exclude NZ and I am told it covers the deductible (excess).

Our time frame is 2nd half of Feb. A fire place would have absolutely no use during that time of the year in that part of the world I am afraid.

A friend had reservation predevaluation at the Conrad but he gave it up in favor of a local hotel on the garden route even he had to pay for it - he said much nicer in every way. They also gave up one free night at the Radisson Blu in Cape Town and went out of town to stay at a B&B, even though they had an upgraded ocean view room... They kept their car the whole time but they only stayed in Cape Town 3 days? then they headed out and eventually returned their rental at PLZ. I have to check with him on the insurance front.