FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cape Town: Rent-a-Car / Transportation Rentals
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:00 pm
CFFrost

Originally Posted by Happy
Planning on an upcoming trip Feb/Mar - we will first be at PLZ (because we arrive JNB at 2pm and BA does not show any availability to either JNB or PLZ, but show availability to PLZ the next day). We plan to pick up car at PLZ, visit the elephant park and eventually wound our way to CPT. We have a total of 12 days to do this, including the CPT portion. Then we fly back to JNB to pick up our flight to DOH.

So we would drive the Garden Route before reaching CPT. Not sure whether we should return the car immediately once we are in CPT, and a few days later pick up a car to do the Cape etc, or we should finish all our self-driving parts first then have the last few days at CPT without a car. Opinions and suggestions greatly appreciated.

We plan to use the AMEX Plat card for the car rental. It should have enough room for some sizable authorization though I would still like to know the ballpark figures you guys have experienced.

For all other expenses we plan to use the Barclays A+ and other cards that dont have the forex fee.

Haven't decided which hotels to use. Club Carlson group has 2 properties at CPT and we have held reservations at both for the last 2 days at CPT for the moment.

Could also use Hilton as well. But I need to find reputable lodgings for the driving part from PLZ to CPT, as well as the stay at PLZ.

There will be a significant hold, but you should be fine using a Plat (NPSL) especially if you are putting other expenses on different cards. I don't remember the exact amount the hold, but if I recall correctly the hold is for the amount of the deductible for the policy you choose through the rental company. There was also an additional hold for the GPS. I know your card may include insurance coverage, but I do not think it is possible to rent a car without an insurance policy in SA.

As far as whether to keep the car or not, that all just depends on how much you value flexibility vs. cost. If you keep the car there will likely be times you will still want to just take a cab or an Uber - (Uber works well in Cape Town, both are very cheap) or get a ride with the tour operator if you do that, as most will pick up from the hotel. If you're a wine drinker you'll never want to drive if you're heading to dinner, for example, as wines in SA are cheap and delicious.

We had an EXCELLENT stay at the Conrad Pezula in Knysna along the garden route. The in-room wood-burning fireplace was a real treat. The Hilton Cape Town was very good for what it was, but I wouldn't call it a high end property.