FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Airways - 15,000 bonus miles for existing card holders [targeted]
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:19 am
oshelef

Originally Posted by oshelef
I received a new one today. I opened the card in June. Got the usual spend 750 for 3 months for Sept, Oct, Nov. I've put basically minimum spend to get the offers, plus a couple small transactions in March.

Today's offer is 15k for $500 spend for 3 months. The offer has these additional terms: "To receive your bonus miles, your account must be open and in good standing and you must have paid your annual fee." Emphasis in original.

I was just contemplating calling to see if I could get the annual fee waived. Any ideas what getting a waiver of the annual fee will do to this bonus?

I never used my last companion certificate, and i'm somewhat doubtful I'd use the new one. If I can't waive my annual fee that makes this roughly a purchase of miles for .74 cents (cost $89 annual fee, plus 1500 of spend not on my arrival=$122, benefit 16500 miles = .74 cents/mile). That's not bad, but it's not great.
Following up:
Called, and had the annual fee waived as well as a retention offer of 5k points for $1k spend. Met both the $1k spend and the $500/month spend (same spend counted for both), and the 20k points now show as pending. (I did have a card reissued from their end because of fraud concerns, I sent a proactive message to make sure the offers were transferred, and got a canned response to wait 6-8 weeks after the offers expired.) Nice.