FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $23,000 trip in F on A380 SIN-JFK
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:22 am
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I too would like to criticise Derek for his plagiarism, especially given the fact he's college educated. And for not taking the plagiarised material off once it was pointed out to him.

But I don't take issue with his photos, or the unplagiaried bits. I had a LOL myself over "I’d slept for 6 hours, or $6,000 worth of the flight".

Recently I had the slightly less (but still immense) privilege of flying redeemed CX F from HKG to CDG - I don't intend to TR but you can see my last minute tarmac posts for help about second helping of caviar. I too wondered how I can make the most of my F experience - if I did nothing I'll sleep sitting upright all the way to Europe.

I ended up bottling three cans of Red Bull into eight shampoo bottles purchased from Sa Sa the night before departure. One leaked before I left the office (it was a Friday) so I was left with seven. HKG security cleared all of them after asking what they are, and I downed three on the way there. I still slept five of the twelve hours going there, which I thought was fair since I should road test how is sleeping in CX F like. I woke the missus up in time (yes, I redeemed two, this is a hell of a lot of manufactured AS Watsons spend) to order our snacks and gaze at the lights of Moscow under us.

On the way back CDG security confiscated the remaining four bottles whilst leaving the rest of my LAGs untouched (well, they bagged them). I didn't really need the Red Bull on the return flight anyway.

Derek's TR has been translated into Chinese, in the third person perspective http://www.teepr.com/46077/55%E8%90%...C%89%E7%9A%84/ - the Chinese version reads "hH wakes up 6 hours feeling disappointed, because he slept TWD182,000 worth of flying".

I read through his blog and felt maybe except for the service, SQ's suites beat CX F in every aspect. Especially the food. I asked the missus if we want to do Suites ourselves - with appropriate redemptions of our Amex and Citi points Suites is within our reach. But the missus wasn't terrifically keen (esp since we have to SIN detour) and really neither am I.

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 7, 2014 at 8:52 am