FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cape Town: Rent-a-Car / Transportation Rentals
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:56 pm
CFFrost

Originally Posted by ThudAndBlunder
SA is a little bit of a throwback when it comes to credit cards. They'll often ask for a signature in addition to chip-and-PIN etc. They love having photocopies / carbon copies of cards as well, which is not best practice, but it's at least widespread enough that one can be reassured that there's no sinister intent.
Yea, I encountered that a couple of times. I started to realize it was somewhat normal there - but my instincts still tend to reject it.

Originally Posted by sk3x
Slightly OT, but figured this active thread might be a good place to post. Anyone have a recommendation for a driver for when we're in the Winelands for two days later this month? I think we'll rent for a day or two when exploring south of Cape Town, but would then like to enjoy ourselves at the wineries without the hassle of the vehicle.
It was very difficult for us to decide how to do the vineyards, especially since we didn't spend any nights in the winelands and were "commuting" from cape town. I didn't want to do a standard tour, because I didn't want to end up just going to a few vineyards that the guide happens to have an "in" at, and probably the largest vineyards at that. I also was hesitant to hire a private driver as I got the sense that most of them were just taxi drivers who might not know the vineyards that well - so it would be on us to do the research and tell the driver where to take us. In the end, we took a tour but were very pleasantly surprised at how great it was and how knowledgable our guide was. We found him on Trip Advisor - Tsiba Tsiba Wine Tours (we found them on trip advisor) - and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. While he did take us to a couple of larger vineyards, he also took us to a couple of smaller ones as well. We booked a group tour, and there was only one other couple in the "group" - it was an excellent day! If you want something private, I think they offer that as well.