FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:40 pm
yosithezet
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You sure that you can have the PLT breakfast benefit in either property? If so, it's news to me.
Yep. The WGS has allowed PLT breakfast in Taste for over a year as a standard option.

I didn't find them comparable. SGS has the largest variety of breakfast foods I've ever seen at a breakfast buffet. Thai, Japanese, Korean, American, Chinese, British, Indian and more are all available.
Other than Indian, this can pretty much be said of the WGS as well. The depth of the SGS offerings is deeper.

I have had someone say that they feel the quality of the food in the Sunday brunch is better at the WGS while the variety is larger at the SGS.

Also, the WGS lounge (where you have the PLT happy hour) is a pour-your-own arrangement.
Not the case. You have the option, if you can't wait for the staff, to pour your own. But this is not the standard. That said, there have been complaints that the staff can be slow in refilling drinks but this seems to be mainly due to the level of staffing during busy times.

Originally Posted by seacarl
No question I noted that the décor is nicer at the SGS. But I don't think I would consider it one of the world's better 5-star properties. How would you compare it to the St Regis?
Subjective topic. I prefer the modern decor or the WGS to the classic decor of the SGS.

Again, this is simply not true. Coincidentally, I've stayed at SGS during all protests since 2008. Of the four options normally available for PLT happy hour, Living Room, Library, Sala and BarSu, only BarSu was closed during the protests and coup earlier this year.
I think you may want to take this part of the discussion over to the SGS thread. I recall that in previous rounds there were closings of F&B at the SGS. At the WGS during the same protest/flood times they would temporarily close the lounge breakfast.

To the question of sink, I would be staying at the WGS, others would be staying at the SGS. It really just depends upon what you want and like from a property.