FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boston Luxury
Thread: Boston Luxury
View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:01 am
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by emma69
I've not stayed at the FS in Boston but I was very underwhelmed by the MO on a week long stay last year.

The location is great, I will give it that, but everything else just wasn't as effortless as it should have been.

I was given a disabled person's room (which I did not ask for, and when I asked for a change, was told they were sold out). It meant I didn't have a shower door, just a curtain, and the seat in the shower was fixed - as I had no desire to shower sitting on a bench, I had maintenance come and remove it. The wardrobe, presumably to accommodate those unable to stand, had a half height rail, which meant I had nowhere I could hang a dress properly, unless I hooked it over a picture frame.

I expect phone calls to be handled promptly, even if I am then asked to hold, or they offer to call me back - I called room service, front desk, spa etc. several times, and several times I was left listening to a ringing phone - more importantly, people who were calling me from outside of the hotel were not being answered and connected to me in my room.

I had some packages delivered, and they called to let me know they had arrived and would 'be right up'. I had just run a bath, so I delayed getting in knowing someone would be up shortly - over half an hour later I called back down, and they seemed unconcerned and a 'oh I will see if someone can bring them up'.

Doormen were unable to get taxis on a couple of occasions and suggested I walk a couple of blocks up to try and flag one down myself (I get that it was busy, but I would expect a hotel of this caliber to have the contacts with cab firms to get them for their guests)

The events staff seemed to be fine if there was only one thing going on, but as soon as more than one event was happening, they seemed flustered, and the management disappeared (leaving me to direct the actions of their entry level staff to get what needed to be done, done).

The regular concierge was very helpful, but more often than not he was not there, and a member of front desk staff was filling in, and couldn't offer up basic suggestions when asked.

It was my first experience of the MO brand, and it doesn't make me keen to opt for them in the future.
Ican understand your frustrations based on what you've shared, but the fact that you recommend the FS without having stayed there at the Boston property is problematic for me--reminiscent IMO of someone who blindly believes a brand (FS) is more important than the specific example (Boston FS).

I also think that the hotel being full has more to do with your experience at the MO than the actual identity of the property. I've stayed at many luxury hotels, and service is always worse when they are full compared to when they are not. You may decide to avoid the MO for that reason, of course, but that doesn't mean that the experience at the full FS Boston will be any different.

I also know that Boston, like San Francisco, is a tougher town in which to get a taxi, especially when compared to New York or Chicago. I've been to the FS in Boston for drinks before many times, and they've often had trouble getting us a taxi, too, to illustrate the point.

Sometimes, we need to distinguish the circumstantial factors that may have led to the poor service experiences we encounter and not assume that the hotel or brand is any different under those circumstances with another in the same vicinity. In this case, your room complaint is more about being a fully occupied hotel than it being the MO, and the taxi and phone service being more about the same and/or Boston IMO.