Boston Luxury

Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Boston Luxury

I searched and didn't find a dedicated thread for luxe in Boston so I hope this works.

I've been to Boston many times but years ago and for business and stayed in the Four Seasons (liked) and the Copley Plaza (it was ok). What is recommended nowadays?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Most of the discussion is older, except for a few stay reports for the Four Seasons.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ghlight=boston
See also:
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:38 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
There are some good luxury options and also some good boutique options in Boston--but not all with the same examples as in other cities. The regular suggestions are all there--FS, RC, and MO being most often cited. Some might include the Langham but I wouldn't put it in the same class. The boutique luxury options are (depending on your criteria) most often XV Beacon, The Charles (Cambridge), The Eliot, Hotel Commonwealth, Nine Zero, etc.

It also will depend on where in Boston/Cambridge you want to stay...or what you might want to see and where you want to go when you're in town.

For me, I love XV Beacon and the MO. The FS and RC are also fine. The Charles is wonderful for Cambridge. As SPG Plat, I most often stay at the Le Meridien Cambridge since it allows easy access to both Boston and Cambridge at a very inexpensive rate (and I always get upgraded). The Liberty (SPG Luxury Collection) is nice but pretty big and a little too party scene for my tastes, but others might like it. The W isn't bad, but for their rates you can often stay at one of the nicer hotels IMO.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I've stayed at XV Beacon, FS, Ritz, Boston Harbor Hotel, The Charles, and Fairmont Battery Wharf. My current favorite (which surprises even me) is the latter.

I love the MO for shopping and the FS is a solid all-around pick in a good central location.

Erin
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
It's pretty amusing that all 3 links are my threads lol. We love the FS boston and have never had a bad stay. I think next time we want to try the MO just to try something new.

Happy to answer any Q's you might have about the hotel itself or dining/drinking around Boston.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:02 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
I've stayed at XV Beacon, FS, Ritz, Boston Harbor Hotel, The Charles, and Fairmont Battery Wharf. My current favorite (which surprises even me) is the latter.

I love the MO for shopping and the FS is a solid all-around pick in a good central location.

Erin
What is it about the Fairmont Battery that you like so much? I've never stayed there but am in Boston a lot.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:09 pm

FS Boston is amazing.

XV Beacon comes a close second.

I wouldn't consider Langham a luxury hotel. It's more of a 3 star hotel masquerading as a 5 star hotel.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Will be at XV Beacon next week for the first time. Looking forward to it.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by bhrubin
What is it about the Fairmont Battery that you like so much? I've never stayed there but am in Boston a lot.
It's one of Boston's newest luxury hotels, so the design is geared toward modern life. There are reading lamps above the bed, plenty of outlets, a functional desk area, etc. Additionally, the rooms have two things that help make me a happy guest, a Nespresso machine and a horizontal safe. I also thought it was a neat design that the closet opened from both the bathroom and the hallway, which made getting ready easy.

I love the views and the feeling of being on the water. It's quiet and peaceful. A different perspective on Boston. The restaurant is good, and when the weather is nice sitting outside away from traffic and hustle and bustle is a pleasure. Plus, the s'more making areas are a nice touch. I had my first peanut butter cup s'more here, and I am a convert!

It's not the most obvious location, and not the easiest for getting around the city, although easy enough with Uber and taxis. Plus, it's only a short walk to the North End. The water taxi service is a great way to see Boston from the water, while in transit to somewhere else.

I have some photos posted on Flickr.

Hope this helps! Happy to answer any additional questions.

Erin
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Thank you Luxtrvlwrks. This sounds like a wonderful new addition to the Boston hotel scene!

For those who haven't been to the Four Seasons in a while, they have completely redone their bathrooms, putting in marble walk-in showers, and they will be completely redoing/greatly expanding their spa the first part of next year.

My current ranking:

1st: Four Seasons for Service, Bristol Lounge, Park Views/Location, and new Bathrooms
2nd: Mandarin Oriental for Spa and Shopping location
3rd: Ritz-Carlton for Sports Club LA Gym and Club Floor
4th: XV Beacon for Beacon Hill location, fireplaces in the room, and dining
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:26 pm

XV Beacon - the rooms looked small to us (compared to FS). Most of the rooms have only a Queen sized bed. But at XV Beacon you have the restaurant Moo. We had a GREAT lunch there.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I'm in a Beacon St. Studio which is almost 500 sq. ft. so plenty big. Will definitely try Moooo. (not sure how many "o"s there are.)
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:54 pm

I have been staying at the FS for over 20 years and this past June tried the MO. While it was acceptable, it was not in the same class as the FS.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:13 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by speedbird001
I have been staying at the FS for over 20 years and this past June tried the MO. While it was acceptable, it was not in the same class as the FS.
Details, please! What did you find less than appealing about the MO compared to the FS, and what stands out for you as being superior at the FS?

Also, let's not forget that as a 20 year customer at the FS, you may be slightly comparing oranges to apples since the FS staff knows your preferences and likely upgrades you as such a consistent customer?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by wripro
I'm in a Beacon St. Studio which is almost 500 sq. ft. so plenty big. Will definitely try Moooo. (not sure how many "o"s there are.)
If you get a chance do the 3 course lunch special. Amazing value.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.