FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boston Luxury
Thread: Boston Luxury
View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:43 am
emma69
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Details, please! What did you find less than appealing about the MO compared to the FS, and what stands out for you as being superior at the FS?

Also, let's not forget that as a 20 year customer at the FS, you may be slightly comparing oranges to apples since the FS staff knows your preferences and likely upgrades you as such a consistent customer?
I've not stayed at the FS in Boston but I was very underwhelmed by the MO on a week long stay last year.

The location is great, I will give it that, but everything else just wasn't as effortless as it should have been.

I was given a disabled person's room (which I did not ask for, and when I asked for a change, was told they were sold out). It meant I didn't have a shower door, just a curtain, and the seat in the shower was fixed - as I had no desire to shower sitting on a bench, I had maintenance come and remove it. The wardrobe, presumably to accommodate those unable to stand, had a half height rail, which meant I had nowhere I could hang a dress properly, unless I hooked it over a picture frame.

I expect phone calls to be handled promptly, even if I am then asked to hold, or they offer to call me back - I called room service, front desk, spa etc. several times, and several times I was left listening to a ringing phone - more importantly, people who were calling me from outside of the hotel were not being answered and connected to me in my room.

I had some packages delivered, and they called to let me know they had arrived and would 'be right up'. I had just run a bath, so I delayed getting in knowing someone would be up shortly - over half an hour later I called back down, and they seemed unconcerned and a 'oh I will see if someone can bring them up'.

Doormen were unable to get taxis on a couple of occasions and suggested I walk a couple of blocks up to try and flag one down myself (I get that it was busy, but I would expect a hotel of this caliber to have the contacts with cab firms to get them for their guests)

The events staff seemed to be fine if there was only one thing going on, but as soon as more than one event was happening, they seemed flustered, and the management disappeared (leaving me to direct the actions of their entry level staff to get what needed to be done, done).

The regular concierge was very helpful, but more often than not he was not there, and a member of front desk staff was filling in, and couldn't offer up basic suggestions when asked.

It was my first experience of the MO brand, and it doesn't make me keen to opt for them in the future.