FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A workflow discussion
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:16 pm
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by reft
In this case, OP has already shot both, but there are lots of reasons.

Both allows the jpegs to be used the same as 'proofs' are for shooting film. The JPGs can be gotten to a printer or email box quickly, raw has a few extra steps.

A lot of hardware/software/websites don't do raw. Examples:

If you use a EyeFi Card, or other device/software that doesn't support raw, you need to shoot raw+JPG. The apple ipod camera connector reportedly will get the raw files, but the ipod wasn't capable of displaying them.

Windows and MAC OSX have different and sometimes lacking support for displaying raw files. If you have the jpg's next to them, and use finder or explorer at all, you can see what's in the raw image via the jpg. Apple seems to be better at updating themselves, but for windows, it seems to have to go to the camera manufacturer's web site as well as cross your fingers.

Like a lot of decisions in photography, there is no correct answer here, it depends on what your needs are, not someone else's; those needs can change over time.
The idea was that the JPEGs could be emailed, posted, etc as discussed. In reality, they have been more useful that that. I definitely have to relearn Lightroom. I used Lightroom 1, but that was obviously a long time ago. As I mentioned, I have gotten Kelby's book and started it to relearn and am finding it very useful. In the meantime, I posted all ~2075 JPEGs on a FLICKR account. While obviously a lot of noise in that it has been a useful exercise. I spent a few hours organizing them all into albums on FLICKR depending on the location or other criteria.

The trip was visit to WWI sites and museums (IWM London, Poppy exhibit at the Tower of London, Brussels, Flanders, the Somme, WWI museum in Mouex and Verdun), the Champagne district and Normandy (Bayeux Tapestry and Omaha Beach area). This included some museums and historical signs/markers. So this organization on FLICKR let me group everything by site while I could still remember, and is giving me an idea of keywords and other grouping tools (informational signs/museum signs/museum displays/ food/etc.). So it has been a useful first step for organization while I can remember and am learning Lightroom.