FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A workflow discussion
View Single Post
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:22 pm
CPRich
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
My general workflow, illustrated by the 1200 images I came home with this summer:

Import into Lightroom - I import them by logical grouping (i.e., on my last trip, one set each for Iceland, Paris, Greece, Istanbul). For each - rename the images based on a standard naming convention (Year, Location, Description - "2014 Iceland Summer Family Trip"), and add keywords that apply to all images (Iceland, vacation, family)

Sort the keepers - one finger on the right arrow, one on the P - quickly sort the good from the bad. Filter the un-selected, and delete. (I used to keep everything because "you never know...". Now I don't). About 300 of the 1200 made it this far.

Rank - repeat again, with fingers on 1 through 5, and star-rank each image. I ended up with something like 150/100/30/15/3 of 1 through 5 stars.

Assign keywords - more detailed keywords by smaller groupings (Thingvellir, Golfoss, Reykjavik, coastline, kids, birds, etc.)

Global settings - (I should put these in an import Pre-set, but I haven't) - I have standard sharpening, vibrance, clarity, lens correction settings as a starting point. Apply to one, select all, copy settings.

Start with highest ranking and begin detailed processing - this repeats ad infinitum, or until I get tired. Of the 1200 shots from the trip, and 300 keepers, I edited, exported, and shared about 50. I think I stopped when I got through the 5/4/3-star images.

Export in full resolution JPEG, upload to Smugmug, with a new gallery for each country/subject. Copy top 5-10 images to the "Best Shots" gallery that scroll on the homepage. Re-synch iPad SyncPhoto/SmugMug apps to have the images available. I haven't bothered with LR or other iPad editing tools - I use it for display only.

Everything is backed up in real-time to an attached external drive and, within a few hours, to a Crashplan backup site, so I don't backup during the LR import or copy the entire card up front.