FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Workshop in NY: a good reason to try AF A380 and AZ Magnifica
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:26 am
straniero

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
After some intense days of work it was already time to get back to Italy.
Even upon leaving controls were quick and expedite; maybe thanks to Sky Priority the queue at security was minimal, I was scanned after less than 5 minutes waiting. Nothing major really.

I should not say that on an aviation website, but I do not remember if this was my place or its brother flying to MXP. The pic is crap anyway:

A quick look at the AZ lounge made me opt for AF lounge where I also had a shower:

After a long wait it was finally boarding time.

AZ 611
JFK-FCO
21:40 06:05 (12:05 local)
Seat 05A (J)

Almost everyone queued up in their right lane and queues were orderly. I was amazed given Italians’ average inability to queue up. Boarding started in time and as usual, I got in among the first to take some pics of the empty cabin. Please let’s agree on blaming the camera for the low quality of these pics.

My seat, cozy and private:

Magnifica class, front cabin:

Spacious:

Even this time I remembered to take a pic of the amenity kit, but not of the contents. Well I’m getting better, maybe next time you’ll all get the whole set of photos:

Shortly after takeoff the table was set: dinner time! woohoo!

Choice of wines: Monvì Colli Perugini Rosso DOP 2009 and Valpolicella DOC Superior Ripasso Fabiano 2010: 9 / 10. Both excellent. I forgot to take the pics but rest assured I had several glasses of both.

Cheese bread: 8 / 10. Warm and soft.

Prosciutto crudo di Parma con olive taggiasche: 6 / 10. ZOMG. C’mon AZ this is really subpar. The ham is fine, but frozen carrots? really?

Orecchiette con salsa vellutata di broccoletti and Cavatelli alla materana con caciocavallo: 9,5 / 10. Al dente! Had two rounds and a half. I love it how FAs serve it directly from the tray into your dish and come back, and back, and back… and fill your dish anytime you ask.

Chicken: 8,5 / 10. Very good. Potatoes were very tasty as well if a bit squashy.

Ricotta cheesecake: 10 / 10. I could not even wait to take a pic before biting it.

Dessert wine: Semèle Montefalco Sagrantino Passito DOCG Signae Cesarini Sartori 2007 barely visible on the left: 8 / 10. I’m not a huge fan of passito, but it was good nonetheless.

Lights were soon turned off and I had a heavy but short sleep. Here’s the bed in flat position and the cabin overnight:

Around one hour before landing (if I remember correctly) breakfast was served:

Quite good. The best part as always is the blood orange juice. I’m afraid I have bad news however: AZ recently changed OJ and are now serving an anonymous orange OJ. That is quite a disappointment.

Landing was in time and immigration was fast (hopefully so, since I’m landing in my own country).