Workshop in NY: a good reason to try AF A380 and AZ Magnifica

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)

Hello all

Some months ago I had the pleasure of flying LIN-CDG-JFK and return JFK-FCO for a business trip. There are not *so* many TRs with AF A380 and even less covering AZ Magnifica class, so I decided to post it. Also for one time during a work trip I did remember the camera and put it to good use.

Hop on board!

Trip started from Linate, my ex home base. I had no time for plane spotting and there is not much to be seen here anyway. Just take this Meridiana flight for the records:

LIN-CDG
AZ 7296 – AF 1213
10:00 – 11:30
Seat 2D (J)

Connecting flight, uneventful trip. That was the catering, the ‘pizzetta’ was warm and really not bad:

Once in CDG a quick spot of that guy:

and I headed for the lounge. Nothing really to write home about, but not bad. A bit crowded maybe. Cold food and whiskey.

A long wait after I moved to the boarding area. The A380 was there waiting for some pics. Although I dare not say it’s sensual (as opposed to the 747 for example…) I think it’s quite majestic. Enormous gives the idea.

Plenty of ways to get in:

CDG-JFK
AF 006
14:10 22:25 (16:25 local)
Seat 64B (J)

Flying in Affaires, I managed to slip on the plane among the firsts, and had the time to take pics of the plane. View from my seat, the seats, lounge area and some stairs:

I also had the time to sit down, relax, and of course drink – no flight is a good flight without bubbles:

View from the tail:

The crew soon started distributing amenity kits:

Menus were handed:

Choice of wines: Moulin ŕ vent Beaujolais Georges Duboeuf 2010 and Haut Médoc Chateau de Villambis Cru Bourgeois 2009 – 9 / 10. Give more!

Timbale de saumon – oh wow. 9/10

Filet de pintade – soupy. 6,5 / 10. Flavor was good, but it was too watery. I managed to eat it completely anyway without any effort. Cheese very good (hey we’re talking France here).

Dessert – 8,5 / 10. Tartelet de framboise, verrine chocolat coco, sable ŕ l’abricot. Very good and tasty, especially the chocolat coco.

After lunch it was time for a quick trip around the plane and at the lower level. I’m sorry all the pics are from the back, I’m not a huge fan of taking pics of other unsuspecting people. Affaires main cabin:

Premium Economy:

Economy:

Obligatory toilet pic with nerdy tshirt:

After a while (I had a little sleep – thanks booze) breakfast was served:

Tortilla aux légumes, mini bol mimosa et saumon, mini club sandwich au poulet et pesto, yaourt. I have no memory of that so I will give it a good 7,5 / 10 out of trust.

Couple of pics from the window, not really much to see at this stage:

I love the effect this glass gives:

Landing was in time, and immigration was a breeze – usual questions from a smiling TSA officer and I cleared it. No really I swear she was very kind and smiling.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:22 am
Original Poster

New York

Aaaah, New York.

Being a business trip I had not much time for leisure, but I was able reserve some time to walk around NY. My Saturday itinerary: ehm just Times square in the evening really.

I was hosted in my company’s residence so there will be no nice hotel pics this time.

My Sunday itinerary: top of Rockfeller centre, all the way down to Brooklyn bridge passing through Broadway and Chinatown, quick trip to the other side of the bridge, back via subway to the Esplanade with lunch, walk to 9/11 Memorial site and Trinity Church, up to Washington square park, pilgrimage to Washington mews (any Italian reading Martin Mystčre will understand), enough because my feet were burning. Too bad the weather was not so good.

Yep this is totally NY:

Neck pain all the time… thanks, skyscrapers:

Lego!

And the view from the top:

Flatiron building:

Cooper union:

The Bridge:

And its view:

Trinity:

Memorial: (I could not get a better pic... sigh)

Washington mews! – again only Italian folks reading Martin Mystčre will understand my joy

Starbucks after bite:

Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:26 am
Original Poster

After some intense days of work it was already time to get back to Italy.
Even upon leaving controls were quick and expedite; maybe thanks to Sky Priority the queue at security was minimal, I was scanned after less than 5 minutes waiting. Nothing major really.

I should not say that on an aviation website, but I do not remember if this was my place or its brother flying to MXP. The pic is crap anyway:

A quick look at the AZ lounge made me opt for AF lounge where I also had a shower:

After a long wait it was finally boarding time.

AZ 611
JFK-FCO
21:40 06:05 (12:05 local)
Seat 05A (J)

Almost everyone queued up in their right lane and queues were orderly. I was amazed given Italians’ average inability to queue up. Boarding started in time and as usual, I got in among the first to take some pics of the empty cabin. Please let’s agree on blaming the camera for the low quality of these pics.

My seat, cozy and private:

Magnifica class, front cabin:

Spacious:

Even this time I remembered to take a pic of the amenity kit, but not of the contents. Well I’m getting better, maybe next time you’ll all get the whole set of photos:

Shortly after takeoff the table was set: dinner time! woohoo!

Choice of wines: Monvě Colli Perugini Rosso DOP 2009 and Valpolicella DOC Superior Ripasso Fabiano 2010: 9 / 10. Both excellent. I forgot to take the pics but rest assured I had several glasses of both.

Cheese bread: 8 / 10. Warm and soft.

Prosciutto crudo di Parma con olive taggiasche: 6 / 10. ZOMG. C’mon AZ this is really subpar. The ham is fine, but frozen carrots? really?

Orecchiette con salsa vellutata di broccoletti and Cavatelli alla materana con caciocavallo: 9,5 / 10. Al dente! Had two rounds and a half. I love it how FAs serve it directly from the tray into your dish and come back, and back, and back… and fill your dish anytime you ask.

Chicken: 8,5 / 10. Very good. Potatoes were very tasty as well if a bit squashy.

Ricotta cheesecake: 10 / 10. I could not even wait to take a pic before biting it.

Dessert wine: Semčle Montefalco Sagrantino Passito DOCG Signae Cesarini Sartori 2007 barely visible on the left: 8 / 10. I’m not a huge fan of passito, but it was good nonetheless.

Lights were soon turned off and I had a heavy but short sleep. Here’s the bed in flat position and the cabin overnight:

Around one hour before landing (if I remember correctly) breakfast was served:

Quite good. The best part as always is the blood orange juice. I’m afraid I have bad news however: AZ recently changed OJ and are now serving an anonymous orange OJ. That is quite a disappointment.

Landing was in time and immigration was fast (hopefully so, since I’m landing in my own country).
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Wrap up time!

AF

Plane: the A380 is an experience per se. Huge, silent; if I’m not mistaken the pressure inside the cabin is different from standard planes and my throat is thankful for that. That plane was clean, too. Too bad for the reclining seat, though I was able to sleep it was not very comfortable as opposed to a lie flat seat.

Food: overall good. Meat could be better, starter brought tears to my eyes.

Crew: attentive. FAs always made sure there was a bottle of water on every seat.

IFE: did not use it.

AZ

Plane: the B777 was a bit worn out and dirty in the most difficult to reach corners. The seat is fantastic and fully lie flat. You can also get a massage, although that feature gave on my nerves after some 10 minutes.

Food: overall extremely good. Just take away that awful starter and gief moar cake!

Crew: attentive. I read stories about FAs disappearing after dinner but they walked in the cabin every 10-15 min (at least while I was awake) to check everything was in order.

IFE: did not use it.

One final word re. AZ, which I’m sure most of all will agree: when flying AZ it is necessary to distinguish between the soft product and the hard product. The soft product is really hit or miss, and a horrible experience with customer service may let disgruntled customers wondering why on earth they purchased an AZ ticket.
Once in the air however, the experience is brilliant (in J, admittedly) and AZ offers a very good and competitive product. That said, until the day they will burn to ashes their current soft product and rebuild it from scratch, they cannot expect to be competitive against other more emblazoned airlines.

That’s it! Hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading!

cheers,
straniero
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the TR and photos ^

Not a lot of AZ TR's floating around - that was good to see.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:46 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
that food on Alitalia looks delicious... mmmm italian food.

Nice tr btw!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:52 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Where was this taken?

Originally Posted by straniero
And the view from the top:

Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
Thanks for the TR and photos ^

Not a lot of AZ TR's floating around - that was good to see.
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
that food on Alitalia looks delicious... mmmm italian food.

Nice tr btw!
Thanks both

Originally Posted by agp423
Where was this taken?
Top of Rockefeller center.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for your report! We don't see too many AZ TRs here so it was good to read yours.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Thanks for the TR. Hope the flash photography didn't disturb the other passengers.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
Thanks for your report! We don't see too many AZ TRs here so it was good to read yours.
Thanks. Indeed, AZ deserves some love... sometimes.

Originally Posted by injian
Thanks for the TR. Hope the flash photography didn't disturb the other passengers.
I'm pretty sure it did! But at least I did not flash them in their eyes. ^
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Thanks for the trip report! I completely agree with you about AZ: let's hope EY will change anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.