FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delayed Start Date for A380 LAX-ICN?
View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:42 am
Roaming Ryan
Formerly known as rwk32882

Programs: IHTFP, AS 75k, AA EXP, AC 75k, ex-UA 1K, Ex-BD *G (RIP), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Mods: The thumbs down in the title is smartphone typo, as is the duplicate post below. sorry.

Was "yesterday" the Saturday 8/23 departure? If so, the wife and I were on your flight.

Flight was slightly late departing because of ATC issues at LAX. Strong headwinds gave us nearly a two late arrival in ICN, and the last half of the flight was fairly bumpy. Not a criticism, but an observation as these things happen.

I've flown a lot on Delta and VA, which don't have international F service. My previous experience in this class was pretty much limited to a single instance on KE's A380 and Air China's remodeled 747.

Seat-wise, OZ's A380 F seat is way superior of course. On this flight, I ate the beaf tenderloin for the first meal and the bulgogi soup for the second. Overall, outstanding, but comparable with KE and main courses in another's class on a good day. What I expect in F is a great main course delivered consistently and some showpiece appetizers. OZ did a nice caviar course, which fit the bill.

The FA's were super. On this flight, I inadvertently exhibited idiotic flyer behavior, which they handled perfectly. In the first instance, I went to the front of F cabin, pointed up the roped stairs, and asked, "Is there a bar up there?" The FA took me up and showed me the biz-cabin lounge which is a workspace where premium cabin pax can have a small meeting. I envisioned a bar with stool a la VA where I can pound down drinks with my Aussie mates. Not that kind of lounge. She then took me thru the biz cabin and then upper deck economy all the way in tail. Thankfully, we did not use the tail spiral stairs to walk back through lower deck economy! The FA was just super willing to do a whole-plane tour!

Later, I manage to clumsily drop my glass out of the rear storage compartment and they land behind the seat. Poor FA this time had to play twister and contortionist in my seat while working the controls to retrieve them. Again, my dumbness handled with perfect grace.

More to follow....
Glad to hear that you enjoyed the trip. We were actually on Friday's flight. I forgot to put my FT tag on my new backpack but you probably would have gathered that we were flyertalkers.

More notes and observations on the trip report thread.