FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MO Purchases using OV @ WM
View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:27 am
kitkatft

Field report on my WM (I know this is a thread about buying MO's at WM, not loading BB at WM, but posting here since this thread's Wiki most directly addresses the OV at WM issue):
  • Bought 2 OV's at CVS on a CC
  • Took them to WM. Neither loaded on Kate. (By the way, this might be something I missed, but Kate is charging $5 for $500 loads. Not for lesser loads, though - I stuck under $494.99 for simplicity.)
  • Took them both to a register.
  • OV#1 went through despite "tender not accepted" after the clerk swiped from his side. Interestingly, I don't think it ever asked me for a PIN.
  • OV#2 was firmly "tender not accepted."
  • Decided to let things cool off, as perhaps BB had been fooled into thinking I'd met $1K load/day even though less than $500 had actually cleared.
-
  • Spent down the 1st OV at the cafeteria at work. (Interestingly, their register had no idea that my OV balance was $0.81 short of my bill and counted the whole sandwich as paid for.)
-
  • Two days later, went to a grocery store.
  • At grocery store, bought a snack using OV#2 as debit at self-checkout to explicitly set a PIN.
  • At grocery store, bought a US Bank MC gift card on a CC. Called in & set PIN.
  • Back to WM with OV#2 & USBGC. Bought a Clif bar apiece on each at self-service checkout using a PIN (though it might have automaticlaly rolled to credit, because on both cards it was doing weird "denied" stuff & then printing a receipt that said "Purchase approved").
  • Went to Kate & tried loading BB with OV#2 & its PIN. Denied - Kate was convinced it was a credit card. Swiped USBGC instead & got that to load just fine.
  • Went to register & tried loading BB with OV#2. Using "cancel" button as soon as I swiped card & then hitting "Change Payment," I got a chance to enter a PIN. However, that still ended up with "Tender Not Accepted" because the register is absolutely convinced that OV#2 is a credit card.
-
  • Happy ending: I finally got someone else in my life set up on AP, so I'll be able to empty out OV#2 in a few months when my minimum-spending activity there cools down (to me, preferable to using OV#2 for day-to-day spending because I like using my normal bank statements like a checkbook register on "real-world" spending). And I'll be able to spend a lot less time worrying about finicky cards & running to WM in general.

Last edited by kitkatft; Aug 22, 2014 at 9:44 am