FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - After booking mixed-class award, can you upgrade once seat is available?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:00 am
Aspen

Please note: This is almost a year old

Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer
You can waitlist for the saver award to become available. Just call UA and ask. I did this last week for DEN-YVR-SYD awards. DEN-YVR and YVR-DEN on UA metal were not available in C (only Y). However, I got the SYD legs in C on Air Canada. I booked the mixed itinerary and called UA about the waitlist. My reservation now notes 'Requested IN' on both flights. So, my understanding is when it comes available it will be automatic (if it becomes available)...
I can confirm 'Requested IN' on a mixed class award itinerary becomes confirmed automatically when the bucket opens. Thank you for the information about calling and asking for the request to be notated. Of course my first call was met with: "You should watch to see if IN become available and then call in"
I did the usual HUACA.
A very helpful agent on my second call put the request in which I appreciated because with only two F seats available for sale <72 hours before the flight the buckets opened and it is now F0

Last edited by Aspen; Aug 18, 2014 at 9:05 am Reason: added note about this being an old thread