Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

After booking mixed-class award, can you upgrade once seat is available?

Old Nov 4, 13, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Ti

If you book a (one-way) international partner award: Leg 1 in First, Leg 2 in Business, then you get charged for a First class award.

If Leg 2 opens up in First, can you switch from Biz to First without incurring any fees?

(AA allows you to do so w/o fees.--In fact, this two-step approach is usually the best way to secure two FC awards on the same flight.)

Last edited by eethan; Nov 4, 13 at 10:05 pm
Old Nov 4, 13, 10:08 pm

Perhaps not technically, but I've had pretty good luck in convincing phone agents to do this anyways.
Old Nov 4, 13, 10:19 pm

Ive personally never had a problem but im plat and dont have any change fees
Old Nov 5, 13, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
You paid for it, it's yours. Theoretically.

If your 2nd leg is UA metal you should just be able to call in. If it's on partner metal it may need a reissue in which case you'll need availability on both legs.
Old Nov 5, 13, 2:08 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hertz PC, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum, occasionally AS, LM, BA/Avios, Bonvoy.
I did this last year on a 2 sector award on Thai. First sector in C, second in Y. C space opened up on the second sector, called UA, and they changed the second sector to C in seconds. Thai's newer A330s are a decent way to fly round the far east! 2P
Old Nov 5, 13, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Silver, HHonors Gold, Accor/Sofitel Platinum, InterContinental Platinum
You can waitlist for the saver award to become available. Just call UA and ask. I did this last week for DEN-YVR-SYD awards. DEN-YVR and YVR-DEN on UA metal were not available in C (only Y). However, I got the SYD legs in C on Air Canada. I booked the mixed itinerary and called UA about the waitlist. My reservation now notes 'Requested IN' on both flights. So, my understanding is when it comes available it will be automatic (if it becomes available)...
Old Nov 7, 13, 11:51 am

Programs: CO Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer View Post
You can waitlist for the saver award to become available. Just call UA and ask. I did this last week for DEN-YVR-SYD awards. DEN-YVR and YVR-DEN on UA metal were not available in C (only Y). However, I got the SYD legs in C on Air Canada. I booked the mixed itinerary and called UA about the waitlist. My reservation now notes 'Requested IN' on both flights. So, my understanding is when it comes available it will be automatic (if it becomes available)...
Interesting. I had no idea this could be done. What kind of "waitlist" requests can be put in for Award Tickets?
Old Nov 7, 13, 12:23 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer View Post
So, you waitlisted on UA metal, correct? OP wants to waitlist on *partner* flights, which (AFAIK) can't be done.
Old Nov 18, 13, 1:45 pm
In memoriam

Domestic Leg in Economy/Int'l In First - Is This Unusual?

I haven't flown on a UA reward ticket for quite a while. Got one today. Good deal IMO. 2 first class saver tickets to China for 280k miles - one stop - good connections. The only thing that was a bit strange was the 2 domestic legs of the trip (JAX/ORD and ORD/JAX) are both in economy.

Not really complaining - because those trips are "puddle jumps". Just wondered if this was par for the course on UA these days? Note that it's often harder to find a domestic first class seat from JAX to a major hub than an international seat out of that hub. So perhaps that's part of what's going on? Robyn
Old Nov 18, 13, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Is the plane even equipped with a F cabin?
Old Nov 18, 13, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Is the plane even equipped with a F cabin?
The morning flights are usually CRJ-700s with only 6 F seats.
The afternoon flight is usually a 319 with 8 F.

OP is most-likely waitlisted for UG and no award space was available today.
Old Nov 18, 13, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
The morning flights are usually CRJ-700s with only 6 F seats.
The afternoon flight is usually a 319 with 8 F.

OP is most-likely waitlisted for UG and no award space was available today.
That's what I figured (some F and some Y) - but when he/she said "puddle-jumper", I wasn't sure.
Old Nov 18, 13, 2:16 pm
In memoriam

Both flights have 6 first class seats - and they'll all available today (flights aren't until late September 2014). Perhaps these seats haven't been released for reward travel yet? Or maybe it's a mistake? I'm not on an upgrade list best I can figure out.

Do you think I should do anything? If so - what? Robyn

P.S. Note that I have zip in the way of status - can't complain to the titanium desk .

Last edited by robyng; Nov 18, 13 at 2:30 pm
Old Nov 18, 13, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Status shouldn't matter on this - it's not considered an "upgrade" because technically you've bought F tickets all the way.

I would not worry - this is not terribly uncommon and, as you say, the flight that matters is in F (the 14 hour one with lie flat seats and an edible meal). You could always call United and ask how they will handle it, but you should be first in line should a seat open up (it seems unlikely the flight is sold out in F at this point - it's just that seats haven't been released for award travel).
Old Nov 18, 13, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
you should be first in line should a seat open up
"Should" and "Will be" are two completely different things.

pmUA, there was the FFCC list to almost ensure joy on the day of travel.

IIRC, now there is no such thing, and, day of travel, OP will be on the "upgrade" list.

Call it in. Get waitlisted for F seats. And then watch it like a hawk to make sure you get processed...

Search this Thread