FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS restroom-use squabble leads to wrongful detainment, $11,500 lawsuit
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:59 am
AS Flyer

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I disagree. TSA makes all these rules. Do you take them on blind faith?

I guess it depends on whether you believe in the government, that they "know best". I don't see why I should. If stuff doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense. Rarely is it cause somebody has a good reason that nobody knows about. More commonly it is cause there is no good reason and they don't want anybody to know that.
What rules does the TSA make outside of security related rules? None, that's how many. Very few security rules actually directly affect you as a passenger once on board as far as that goes. The FAA makes up the vast majority of the rules pertaining to passengers on board and no, I don't take them on blind faith. During training we are given the background behind many of the rules so that we better understand why, for instance, your tray needs to be up for take-off and landing or why you should be belted in during take-off and landing or why the garbage cans are all required to have flaps that close on every airplane or why airplanes are still required to have ash-trays, despite smoking being not allowed on any U.S. airline. There's a reason behind every rule. You don't have to agree with the logic but, at least in the case of the FAA, there are extensive studies that stand behind that logic.