Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS restroom-use squabble leads to wrongful detainment, $11,500 lawsuit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card

Enforce or not to enforce the F lav policy...

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...l#incart_river
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:33 am

Deleted

Last edited by soccerpapi; Aug 13, 2014 at 7:56 pm
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by soccerpapi
I say good for this couple. Alaska Airlines does a horrible job keeping the First Class lavatory available for First Class passengers.

Alaska Airlines seems to be also admitting guilt by agreeing to pay the passengers medical expenses.

Shame on the flight attendant for not doing her job, then assaulting the passenger and finally trying to have the couple arrested.

This flight attendant needs to be let go from the company.

Alaska Airlines needs to be ordered to start enforcing that passengers need to use the lavatories in the cabin that they are traveling in. This is a security issue and First Class passengers should not have endure the constant stream of coach passengers using the First Class lavatory.

If a coach passenger needs to use the First Class lavatory in an emergency, I understand that, but that should be an exception.

soccer
Seems pretty shady to me.

1. The whole story is probably not being told here. FAs just don't hand out those cards for a simple ask. More than likely there was some back and forth from the couple to the FA, leading to the disorderly.
2. What the flight crew says goes. I don't care if you want to use the bathroom up front. FA says no, you don't do it. Go to the back and use that one. The captain is going to back up that decision.
3. AS isn't directly quoted, anything the couple says to the paper could be posturing to force AS's hand.
4. It being Vegas, I have to assume alcohol was involved, too. No way around that assumption.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:54 am

I'm surprised AS wouldn't pay $11k to make this go away... that's not a very large lawsuit. Even if the couple were actually unruly and verbally threatened the FA, it's still bad press for the airline.

The fact that they weren't arrested would seem to indicate that at least some of the facts were on their side.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:00 am

Deleted

Last edited by soccerpapi; Aug 13, 2014 at 7:57 pm
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I say good for this couple. Alaska Airlines does a horrible job keeping the First Class lavatory available for First Class passengers.

Alaska Airlines seems to be also admitting guilt by agreeing to pay the passengers medical expenses.

Shame on the flight attendant for not doing her job, then assaulting the passenger and finally trying to have the couple arrested.

This flight attendant needs to be let go from the company.

Alaska Airlines needs to be ordered to start enforcing that passengers need to use the lavatories in the cabin that they are traveling in. This is a security issue and First Class passengers should not have endure the constant stream of coach passengers using the First Class lavatory.

If a coach passenger needs to use the First Class lavatory in an emergency, I understand that, but that should be an exception.

soccer
Offering a settlement is not admitting guilt. We only have one side of the story here.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:03 am

Deleted

Last edited by soccerpapi; Aug 13, 2014 at 7:58 pm
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:05 am

I knew someone would start making excuses for the flight attendant and Alaska Airlines, however the facts outlined below make all your statements seem like excuses.

1. Alaska Airlines agreed to pay the passengers medical expenses.

2. The passengers were not arrested by the TSA or airport police.

3. Alaska Airlines has a major problem enforcing the First Class lavatory policy that is clearly outlined and detailed in this forum. Alaska Airlines is clearly causing a major security problem by not enforcing the policy where passengers are to use the lavatories in the cabin that they are traveling in.

soccer
I don't think your first 2 points are indicative of fault by AS at all. It's cheaper and less of a headache to pay to make the couple go away.

Also F class policy really doesn't mean anything here. Why wasn't she able to get up and wait at row 6?

Also, how can the FA slam the F bathroom door? It folds inwards.

And again, what the flight crew says goes -- you give up your rights to control any situation when you walk on board. There's no arguing.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:05 am

Deleted

Last edited by soccerpapi; Aug 13, 2014 at 7:59 pm
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:07 am

We know that the passengers were in First Class and were not arrested. Please don't make excuses for the flight attendant or Alaska Airlines.

soccer
This, quite literally, has nothing to do with it, other than the fact they had access to free booze, IMHO.

Not making excuses, but 1 story, on 1 not even major paper, where the defendant is not quoted is not exactly the best source to base any argument.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I knew someone would start making excuses for the flight attendant and Alaska Airlines, however the facts outlined below make all your statements seem like excuses.

1. Alaska Airlines agreed to pay the passengers medical expenses.

This means nothing. Its very common to pay for medical expenses without putting up a fight and not admitting guilt

2. The passengers were not arrested by the TSA or airport police.

This happens all the time with disruptive passengers, They get off easy wityh no arrest or charges. The FA wasn't arrested for assault either. it goes both ways

3. Alaska Airlines has a major problem enforcing the First Class lavatory policy that is clearly outlined and detailed in this forum. Alaska Airlines is clearly causing a major security problem by not enforcing the policy where passengers are to use the lavatories in the cabin that they are traveling in.

Security issue went away a long time ago when the cockpit doors were reinforced. The Y using F lavatory controversy is industry wide in the US. You will find the same type of disucssion on the other aiorline forums
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:18 am

Deleted

Last edited by soccerpapi; Aug 13, 2014 at 8:01 pm
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:23 am

It is sad that some are making excuses for this flight attendant and Alaska Airlines. No matter what the facts are, apparently some can't accept them.

soccer
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:29 am

It is sad that some are making excuses for this flight attendant and Alaska Airlines. No matter what the facts are, apparently some can't accept them.

soccer
These aren't necessarily facts. They're statements made by a plaintiff in a civil litigation case. Of course they're going to posture to get public sentiment on their side.

Also, while the bathroom may have been the catalyst for this situation -- the charges and injuries resulted from other actions, either by the couple or AS.

There are items frequent flyers can pick out of the story that just don't add up.

LAS - Destination is heaviy tourist route -- Were they drunk or did they just not know procedure? The F lav opens inwards, how did the FA "slam" it on the woman. Why couldn't the woman stand at row 6 -- 40+ flights this year, the stream isn't so constant that I'm not able to use to the loo.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:38 am

Deleted

Last edited by soccerpapi; Aug 13, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.