FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Un-Tourist's Guide to Chicago
View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:16 am
andyonthego

thanks

Thanks, this is helpful.

Regarding restaurants, I did a little looking after posting here and you aren't kidding. The options are overwhelming. I don't even know where to start. We may just skip reservations and play it by ear when we get there.

We prefer quieter places, not seafood and not solely ethnic, not a long wait, not community tables (except for brunch), and have a budget that is fairly generous but not alinea level. I love small plates, contemporary american, mediterranean-influenced, restaurants with a view, eating outside, and good drinks. We may even just do a picnic in the park one evening weather-permitting (would eataly have options for this?). If you do have any favorites, I'd love to hear them.

We have lunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday, and brunch on Monday (labor day).

We will definitely look into those bikes and avoid Navy Pier - will probably try Hancock building lounge for drinks saturday night to catch navy pier fireworks.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Restaurant selection is too great to provide generic recommendations. Are you into Michelin-rated places, local ethnic eateries, or specific cuisine? Help us out, narrow the field a bit!

Hancock lounge doesn't always have a wait; in fact, I don't recall the last time I waited in line to get into the lounge. Early afternoon or late night should be fine. Drinks are expensive, but I usually take visitors there for one or two, just for the view.

Navy Pier will be crazy if the weather is good. And, speaking of weather, a bike tour is also a good idea if the weather is good. I don't know if I would recommend an organized tour - never been on one - but renting a CityBike is a great and expensive way to see the city and burn off some of that deep dish pizza.