FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1st segment of award flight cancelled = free change to reservation?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:54 am
Derrico

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
1st segment of award flight cancelled = free change to reservation?

I have a pre-deval award trip coming up PDX-SEA (UA) SEA-NRT (NH) NRT-BKK (TG) and the PDX-SEA has been dropped. (UA no longer flys from PDX-SEA)

UA will reroute me to PDX-SFO-NRT, or PDX-DEN-NRT. Neither of which I was really to happy about since I wanted to try out the NH 787.

After hearing the options I offered to find my own connection to SEA (AS) and then asked that they add a BKK-USM connection that I found a few hours after my BKK flight landed, and I was hoping they could do it for no change fee. (I have no UA status this year) I figured it was an acceptable trade since I was going to be out of pocket for the PDX-SEA portion.

The agent laughed when I suggested that, and said that, that wasn't going to happen. I disengaged from the call politely, and was going to hang up/call again but then I thought about it and perhaps I was being unrealistic. Should a major change to an itinerary like this = an additional change without a fee?