Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1st segment of award flight cancelled = free change to reservation?

Old Aug 1, 14, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National

I have a pre-deval award trip coming up PDX-SEA (UA) SEA-NRT (NH) NRT-BKK (TG) and the PDX-SEA has been dropped. (UA no longer flys from PDX-SEA)

UA will reroute me to PDX-SFO-NRT, or PDX-DEN-NRT. Neither of which I was really to happy about since I wanted to try out the NH 787.

After hearing the options I offered to find my own connection to SEA (AS) and then asked that they add a BKK-USM connection that I found a few hours after my BKK flight landed, and I was hoping they could do it for no change fee. (I have no UA status this year) I figured it was an acceptable trade since I was going to be out of pocket for the PDX-SEA portion.

The agent laughed when I suggested that, and said that, that wasn't going to happen. I disengaged from the call politely, and was going to hang up/call again but then I thought about it and perhaps I was being unrealistic. Should a major change to an itinerary like this = an additional change without a fee?
Old Aug 1, 14, 10:02 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
HUACUA. After my first segment got canceled, and new route was not to my liking, I got agent to get approval to change deperature date to night before and waive the 4 hr connection req.

Last edited by rufflesinc; Aug 1, 14 at 10:15 am
Old Aug 1, 14, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM
you're kind of trying to game the system here by changing your destination when the origin change due to a schedule shift is really what is in question. i'm not saying that via HUACA, you won't find an agent willing to do what you ask, but in reality they have no obligation to offset your inconvenience on one end of the trip with a change on the other end for no charge.

re: NH 787, you may want to consider PDX-SFO//SJC-NRT as an option. not sure that the timing works out for your onward connection to BKK, but that's one way to get what you want w/o having to position yourself to SEA.
Old Aug 1, 14, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
It might be cheaper to buy BKK-USM than SEA-PDX
Old Aug 1, 14, 10:14 am
Moderator, Delta SkyMiles & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, UA Silver, HH lapsed Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Derrico View Post
UA will reroute me to PDX-SFO-NRT, or PDX-DEN-NRT. Neither of which I was really to happy about since I wanted to try out the NH 787.

Should a major change to an itinerary like this = an additional change without a fee?
If the offered alternatives change arrival or departure times by 2+ hours you'll be welcomed to redeposit your miles without fee and be free to ticket a different award.
Old Aug 1, 14, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Plat Premier
What's wrong with trying the UA 787 on DEN-NRT instead of the NH 787 on SEA-NRT? DEN-NRT being a longer flight gives you more time in the 787.

-RM
Old Aug 1, 14, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
If the offered alternatives change arrival or departure times by 2+ hours you'll be welcomed to redeposit your miles without fee and be free to ticket a different award.
At the new award level of course
Old Aug 1, 14, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Agree with PV_Premier, what you're trying to do is outside the rules but you may get it if you keep trying.

Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
It might be cheaper to buy BKK-USM than SEA-PDX
That's the one kind of expensive intra-Thailand route due to the PG monopoly. I'm currently looking at RT of approx. $350 for early September.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
What's wrong with trying the UA 787 on DEN-NRT instead of the NH 787 on SEA-NRT?
-RM
Seriously?
Old Aug 1, 14, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Assuming that you want to keep the NH TPAC award segment, could you fly to SEA on UA the day before and overnight there, presumably at your own expense. On international itineraries, connections can be up to 24 hours (before they count as a stopover) without even needing to ask for a favor or exception.
Old Aug 1, 14, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Premier 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
What's wrong with trying the UA 787 on DEN-NRT instead of the NH 787 on SEA-NRT? DEN-NRT being a longer flight gives you more time in the 787.
UA service instead of NH service.
Old Aug 1, 14, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
UA service instead of NH service.
Ding!
Old Aug 1, 14, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat
You're trying to negotiate with a massive, hierarchical, bureaucratic corporation as if they were a small, family owned and operated store. The whole 'I'll have to pay for this extra part, so you should pay for that extra part' is a good negotiation tactic in other places, but not here. They're under no obligation to break one formalized procedure (award ticket rules) for another informal procedure (keep the customer satisfied). It might be possible if you were just changing dates, but it'll be very hard to add on another destination, especially if you don't have status.

Also, Nok Air does a combined service to Koh Samui for way cheaper than PG: a flight from DMK to URT, bus from URT to the coast, then ferry to Koh Samui. Total cost starts around $70 and it rarely goes above $150. The whole trip takes about 5-6 hours, and you're in a group with people who are on your same route, so there is less risk than just booking three separate services. There is a free shuttle from BKK to DMK, if you have your boarding pass.
Old Aug 1, 14, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat, DL FO, HH Gold, MR Gold
Service, and while OP doesn't mention cabin, 8-across vs. 9-across in Y.
Old Aug 1, 14, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Assuming that you want to keep the NH TPAC award segment, could you fly to SEA on UA the day before and overnight there, presumably at your own expense. On international itineraries, connections can be up to 24 hours (before they count as a stopover) without even needing to ask for a favor or exception.
Except that would require a connection at a hub, and that's no fun for PDX-SFO/IAH/DEN-SEA
Old Aug 2, 14, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Thanks for the opinions, appreciated!

I agree that they do not have an obligation to do it, but it seems like the right thing to do. I will try one more call and see what I get. If they balk I will just buy an AS ticket to SEA.

RE: staeiou: thanks I will look at the ferry option. Looking at the time it may not be a major savings, but since I was thinking of going to Ko Phangan it might work for one direction.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: