FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Compensation Thread [2014]
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:52 pm
CMK10
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xolerf
On 6/29, I was scheduled to fly on UA219 from ORD-HNL. There was a long delay due to mechanical issues and eventually the flight was cancelled after ~4 hours. I was inside the UC when the announcement broke and the agents inside were very helpful and rebooked me on the flight for the next day, but were unable to offer any sort of flight voucher or miles. They also put me up at the Crowne Plaza and gave me $14 in meal vouchers. I thought it was weird that they said they had no choice of which hotel to put me in as I wanted to stay at a Hilton property, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I ultimately arrived at my destination 25 hours past the original arrival.

Once I got back home, I sent off an email to UA saying that I wasn't very happy about my flight being cancelled and wanted some compensation for my inconvenience. Several days after that, I got an automated email from UA about a customer survey. I always take hotel/airline surveys and so I took this one as well. After the survey, it offered a $100 ETC or 5K miles. I chose the $100. Several days after that, a UA rep responded to my complaint and offered and additional $100 ETC.

So, ultimately I got two $100 ETCs, meal vouchers, and a hotel for my cancellation. I was happy with this because I was in no rush to get back home and was actually trying to get bumped. Did I mention that this trip was covered by another UA ETC that I had from a past cancelled flight?
You're happy with $200 for a twenty five hour delay getting home due to m/x? You do realize your compensation is $8/hr? That's pretty awful.