FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:27 am
dukerau

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Go to the thread on emv cards available in the US today and wade through the 380 pages and you'll see why. The USA networks have apparently made the decision that the USA is going to be chip and signature preferred and chip and signature is number 1 on the cvm's of almost every American issued credit card today. (UNFCU seems to be the only exception). That means if you use a pos terminal that accepts chip and signature, it never gets to #2 priority which I think on the Barclay USA card is on line pin. The card would probably work, although I haven't seen any reports pro or con, in unpersonneled kiosks. Just be aware, you cannot tell the card to ignore priority 1. There are merchants out there, right now not all that many but they exist who when they get a chip and signature card where a sale is approved by the pos say No way Jose or something to that effect, void the transaction and say only cards with pins under the mistaken impression their liability increases if a pin isn't used. This is the direction Barclay and every other USA card with an emv chip has chosen to go.
Originally Posted by wco81
So has anyone been able to use this card on kiosks which only take Chip and PIN?

Like Italian autostrada booths or unattended gas stations in Europe?
Oh, I can give a confirmation that it works in unattended terminals. I used it several times recently at metro/train ticket sales machines in Spain, the UK, and Germany. Barclays does say that you have to use the card once internationally at an attended terminal before it works as Chip+PIN, but I don't think I did (I had used it at an attended terminal as Chip+Sig domestically and set PIN online).