FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is appropriate compensation? Bad service at Park Hyatt Washington.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:00 pm
MikeFromTokyo

Originally Posted by lawyertalk
The bad: A few hours after I arrived, the guest services manager offered a food and beverage amenity presumably as a gesture after my last stay (I wasn't asked to choose between the 1W and F&B amenity, but I did receive 1W when the stay posted). I would have appreciated the gesture had the service not caused more of an inconvenience than the benefit received. The amenity was a small cheese board with a half bottle of wine (Boxwood Topiary, which was quite bland and thin and served warm at room temperature). Where it went bad, though, was when the guy who brought it up insisted on opening the wine but couldn't find a corkscrew (which housekeeping had neglected to replace, as it is a standard accessory with the minibar). Okay, no corkscrew, no problem. The guy went to get it, which ordinarily shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Instead, it took about 20-25 minutes.

Later, on my way out, I asked the front desk to send up a bucket of ice and two champagne flutes at a specified time. When I came back a couple hours later and approximately 20 minutes after the specified time, nothing had been placed in my room. I had to call down and request they bring up what I had already requested. This also took about 5-10 minutes.

And if my room is a guide, the base-level rooms also are showing their age (wear, marks, damage, etc.) and will need a light refresh soon.

On a normal stay, my service issues wouldn't be worth detailing. But given that my previous stay was a great disappointment and that the GM and guest services manager both appeared to want to make my stay a better experience, it is quite disappointing and telling of the usual level of service that there were glaring service issues on my stay.
I suspect the OP's expectations for this property are a bit too high based on comments about the quality of the free wine amenity, as well as the timeliness of the ice bucket and champagne glass delivery. Hint: there is a big difference in service level that should be expected if ordering (paying for) a bottle of Champagne from room service versus asking for an ice bucket and glasses to be delivered. OP should not have waited twenty minutes to call and ask again for ice bucket if timing was such an issue.

This is not PH Tokyo, Milan, or Paris-Vendome; so service expectations should be more realistic. PH Washington is more of a second-tier property in D.C. - it isn't the Four Seasons. I consider it a four star hotel.