Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

What is appropriate compensation? Bad service at Park Hyatt Washington.

Old Aug 11, 13, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold

Spent a weekend in an Ambassador Suite in the Park Hyatt Washington. On the second day (first full day), I left the room and came back to find maintenance at work fixing one of the motorized shades in the room. Note that I did not at any point ask them to fix the shade. Maintenance was in and out for about three hours (while I was in the room the whole time) before I had to ask them to leave because I had to change and get ready to leave. I came back three hours later to find the original shade still broken and the other two previously working shades in the bedroom now broken and stuck to half open. I had to request maintenance come back to manually put the shades down.

I later found a manager and told him about this poor service experience (as well as the disappointing service on my last stay detailed in the PH Washington master thread) and he apologized but did not offer any specific compensation. I asked for some points and he said he could arrange for that.

What do you think is appropriate compensation for the inconvenience?
Old Aug 11, 13, 10:06 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Housekeeping proactively keeping rooms in functioning order is a good thing, I do not think you have any complaint simply because you did not specifically ask them to fix the problem.

If there is a valid complaint, it is that the repair took so long while you were in the room and possibly that the result was ineffective. Apparently they did leave when you requested them to even though they hadn't finished the repair. As they were able to lower the blinds when you requested later, I'd call it an unfortunate event but not a major catastrophe. So, no major compensation is called for.

Were you paying the rate for that suite (directly or indirectly, with cash or points) or did the hotel upgrade you on its own initiative? That might also affect the level of service recovery expected.
Old Aug 11, 13, 10:19 am
Original Poster

This was a paid rate.

If they want to do proactive maintenance for something more involved, they should have asked when I would be out of the room for a period long enough for them to fix the problem.

Being in the room for three hours while I'm there also isn't a catastrophe but it's certainly a great annoyance and inconvenience. There's also an expectation of room quality and service at a Park Hyatt that one wouldn't have at a Hyatt Place.
Old Aug 11, 13, 10:25 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
I would think for something like a few hours of inconvenience in the room, a hotel like that would offer a couple thousand points. Not a major deal, but I DO think 2 or 3k points would not hurt.
Old Aug 11, 13, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Appreciate the response. Also, I'm just asking to get a sense of what people think is an appropriate range of points (which I don't think will be too high). Not trying to be DYKWIA.
Old Aug 11, 13, 10:36 am

If I'm paying for a large suite (as opposed to an upgrade) I believe I have a right to have everything in that suite in working order during the time I am there. This is especially true for a luxury hotel such as the PH. If the hotel knew there was going to be maintenance required in the suite at the time you checked-in, they should have advised you of it and offered an alternative room or suite. If the problem occurred after you had unpacked, the Front Desk should have consulted with you beforehand and offered some sort of compensation (points, drinks, dinner, etc) at that time. Or even moved you to a different room. At the going rate for most high-end hotels, you are paying for "no inconvenience," period.
Old Aug 11, 13, 11:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
Mishaps happen everyday. Just live and let live. Your life and the life of others will be a lot happier -- and this is worth a lot more than 2K-3K points.
Old Aug 11, 13, 11:36 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List, Hyatt Diamond
Whenever I have had big issues with a hotel, it has been customary for them to offer the equivalent category of points to apologize. Granted this has only happened to me up to a category 4, but they always offered this range and I always thought it was fair. So a category 1 hotel would offer me 5k points,etc. In your case, I think 22k points is fair and inline with my experiences since it is a category 6 property.

I think there were multiple ways this could have been handled better by the hotel so some form of compensation seems fair to me.
Old Aug 11, 13, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by kuponuts View Post
Mishaps happen everyday. Just live and let live. Your life and the life of others will be a lot happier -- and this is worth a lot more than 2K-3K points.
This wasn't a "mishap." It was an action under the total control of the hotel.
Old Aug 11, 13, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by ronbo83 View Post

I think there were multiple ways this could have been handled better by the hotel so some form of compensation seems fair to me.
Could you be more specific...

I agree on ´some from of compensation´ , consider 2-3k to be appropriate, though.

Remember, there were no mosquitos involved and as far as I can judge, the elevators also worked well.

Anyway, we are talking about Washington. If I remember correctly, certain people also had some issues at the Grand Washington some months ago...
Old Aug 11, 13, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by lawyertalk View Post
This was a paid rate.
But was it a paid rate for that suite?
Old Aug 11, 13, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by everywhere View Post
But was it a paid rate for that suite?
Yes.
Old Aug 11, 13, 12:32 pm

Given you were paying over $2,000 a night, why didn't you ask to be moved while the problem was happening?
Old Aug 11, 13, 2:04 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FD1971 View Post
Could you be more specific...

I agree on ´some from of compensation´ , consider 2-3k to be appropriate, though.

Remember, there were no mosquitos involved and as far as I can judge, the elevators also worked well.

Anyway, we are talking about Washington. If I remember correctly, certain people also had some issues at the Grand Washington some months ago...
I always let the hotel suggest a number first and so far they have always used the category scale so like I said 22k seems fair, especially if he was paying for a suite. I was not in his shoes so I cannot tell how bad it was but it seems like a situation that could have been avoided. I also think the hotel should have taken care of this before he left. Having a resolution makes the customer happy and prevents threads like this from ever being started.
Old Aug 11, 13, 3:00 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by everywhere View Post
Given you were paying over $2,000 a night, why didn't you ask to be moved while the problem was happening?
I would expect a significant portion of the rate returned to me; when one is booking a suite at a hotel like that - you shouldnt have to deal with anyone coming into the room fixing anything. 2-3k points seems absurd for a rate in the 1-2k/night range

Search this Thread