FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Langham 1865 Program
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:07 pm
777 global mile hound
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by platinumboy
Hey there, Thanks for the detailed review - sounds like a pretty terrible experience!

I'm also Accor Platinum and thought I'd pick up on this comparison. Both programs don't seem to have much connection between promised benefits and actual delivery
. But I have found the Langham Hotels in Asia very good > excellent in delivery of membership recognition, particularly with Welcome amenities and service perks... But you're very right about personal relationship. I'm a very regular guest and have done some business with the brand, so perhaps I red flag when staying there.

The Langham's in the US are a different story altogether. Although I love the retreat out of LA with Pasadena, they pretty much do their own thing. Member benefits are a side business there, as occupancy is high and they [Langham] are purely operating a brand positioning exercise. Similar to the New York and Chicago properties. So they have quite some work to do in brand experience consistency and member recognition.

As for membership points (airline points) and retaining Langham 1865 status, it's all handled by a team in Hong Kong (When I say team, I mean 2 people) So it's no surprise that it's easier to retain your membership at Gateway level than risk losing potential customers.

They are a privately owned company, and very (very) conservative when it comes to new ideas and investment in innovation (as much as they say it's part of their DNA)

lcpteck is right, it'll be interesting to watch how things go with the announced expansion plans... I'm not entirely convinced they have the right structures in place to handle it myself.
Appreciate the thoughts and feedback.
This forum has a good handful of bright experienced travelers that know their stuff
It would be great to have Langham as a solid choice. At present it’s a last resort when the other majors are overpriced and I am willing to settle for whatever happens at a premium.
Asia is one of the better regions in the world even Hilton & Conrad's excel in that region
To some degree it's hard to find a bad luxury hotel even when one complains about a poor performing 5 star.
They are probably exceptional compared to most other worldwide brand standards with typically lower defect rates in house.
That region typically gets guest service right at least outwardly and they work hard at it even if it isn't always sincere
Those folks are good at the details of making stays special,
Luxury Chocolates in the room, flowers, lavish buffets, presentation and kind respectful to their guest at the very least.

Langham individual hotels seem like a bunch of properties that are independent and participate in some outside third party loyalty company that runs a lose based group of benefits based on they want to offer something to compete with the majors
One such glaring example no welcome letter no mention of your tier or lack of it a check in and a guess at what you should receive even if you are elite.
I booked through American Express Platinum card which offers another set of benefits of which I printed out the list to be sure I would receive some or most of them.
At some point I will write a more extensive review of my actual stay for those patient enough to read through it