FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Bassinets on UA flights - access / experiences / questions
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:06 am
phkc070408

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
[Consolidated] Bassinets on UA flights - access / experiences / questions

My wife and I are traveling to China next year to adopt a young child, and I am currently exploring our options as far as travel.

We will be traveling EWR-PEK and would like to do the BusinessFirst thing if it is possible. I understand that there are two bassinets in the pmCO 777-200 in Biz, the ones that fly this route. They are on Row 8AB and 8KL.

I looked up one way fares for our child in Biz for our child, and they are almost as expensive, if not more expensive than a round trip, so I would really like to avoid paying cash for a one way seat.

I understand a young child may not like the idea of being held on a lap for 15 hours, so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the bassinets and if they are suitable for a lap age child for a few hours at a time, or if you think we should use some FF miles and get a third seat?

Unfortunately, we will be doing this probably in a little under a year from now. I've been watching the saver pass awards for this year. I see plenty of saver pass awards available for the trip out, but very few for the ride home, probably due to the large number of Chinese students coming to the USA to study. We have enough FF miles for one round trip at the standard rate, but would obviously be better off using them for the one way for the third seat if it comes to it.

In a nut shell, would the bassinet suffice for a one to two year old for a 15 hour flight, or should we get the extra seat?

Does anyone have any pictures of them, or could someone take some pictures of them for me? PM me and I'll give you my email address.