Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Bassinets on UA flights - access / experiences / questions

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 30, 19, 2:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Bassinets

Customers can request a bassinet by calling the United Customer Contact Center at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the United States or the appropriate Worldwide Contact Center. We will provide accompanying seat assignments for an adult traveling with an infant and up to one travel companion. There is no fee for these seat assignments when arranged by the United Customer Contact Center or with a United representative at the airport. Bassinet availability is limited, and these arrangements are not guaranteed.
Planes with bassinets
787-9 (BF 6AB, 6KL, E+ 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF)
787-8 (BF 4AB, 4KL, E+ 16ABC, 16JKL, 17DEF, 27DEF
777-200 (3-class 777-200 (3-class} (E+ 19G, 34G)
777-200 2-Class BF (BF 8AB, 8KL, E+16DEF, 31DEF)
777-200 2-class Hawaii (none)
767-300 3-class (E+ 19CEH)
767-300 2-class (BF 1AB, 1KL, E+ 16EF)
767-400ER (E+ 16DEF, 28DEF)
757-200 16 BF (BF 1AB, E+ 8DEF)
Other 752s do not have bassinets.
The rest of the fleet does not have bassinets.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 7, 14, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards

My wife and I are traveling to China next year to adopt a young child, and I am currently exploring our options as far as travel.

We will be traveling EWR-PEK and would like to do the BusinessFirst thing if it is possible. I understand that there are two bassinets in the pmCO 777-200 in Biz, the ones that fly this route. They are on Row 8AB and 8KL.

I looked up one way fares for our child in Biz for our child, and they are almost as expensive, if not more expensive than a round trip, so I would really like to avoid paying cash for a one way seat.

I understand a young child may not like the idea of being held on a lap for 15 hours, so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the bassinets and if they are suitable for a lap age child for a few hours at a time, or if you think we should use some FF miles and get a third seat?

Unfortunately, we will be doing this probably in a little under a year from now. I've been watching the saver pass awards for this year. I see plenty of saver pass awards available for the trip out, but very few for the ride home, probably due to the large number of Chinese students coming to the USA to study. We have enough FF miles for one round trip at the standard rate, but would obviously be better off using them for the one way for the third seat if it comes to it.

In a nut shell, would the bassinet suffice for a one to two year old for a 15 hour flight, or should we get the extra seat?

Does anyone have any pictures of them, or could someone take some pictures of them for me? PM me and I'll give you my email address.
Old Jul 7, 14, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Get a seat. The bassinets are small; I don't think they're designed for a 1-2 year old. I've used them on a 767-400 bulkhead with a three month old and she used >50% of the space. I believe the sCO 777-200s in BF have the flip-up thing above the TVs that looks even smaller, in my opinion.

Additionally, you're not supposed to use them when the seatbelt sign is on, which can be for hours, and if the FAs enforce it every time it comes on and off, you'll be taking the kid in and out constantly, which wakes them up and is a hassle.
Old Jul 7, 14, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
A 1-2 year old is too big for a bassinet. Please note you will pay 10% of the adult business fare for a lap child if you fly business. That's a long flight to hold a child. I would use FF miles to get your child an economy seat.

I kind of doubt all the saver economy seats are being taken by Chinese students!
Old Jul 7, 14, 9:44 am
Original Poster

D Baker: Thank you. You answered me perfectly.

Lost in Cyber: We're going to travel in BusinessFirst. We can't leave a two year old in coach by themselves while we're in the forward cabin.
Old Jul 7, 14, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
D Baker: Thank you. You answered me perfectly.

Lost in Cyber: We're going to travel in BusinessFirst. We can't leave a two year old in coach by themselves while we're in the forward cabin.
One adult stays in economy while the other adult stays in BF with the child.
Old Jul 7, 14, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
On another note, congrats OP on the adoption. A very great thing!
Old Jul 8, 14, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pindi View Post
One adult stays in economy while the other adult stays in BF with the child.
That's not happening. We're traveling BF for us, not for an infant. The infant is just along for the ride.

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon View Post
On another note, congrats OP on the adoption. A very great thing!
Thank you, but not quite yet. We still have some hurdles to jump. It probably won't take place for another year. I'm just using the best comparison to when we do travel (which is now) to do my research.
Old Jul 8, 14, 5:48 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
That's not happening. We're traveling BF for us, not for an infant. The infant is just along for the ride.
The only reason I pointed it out is because we had a similar situation too - we brought our little one home when she was almost 16 months old. The plan was to have both DH and I return with her - we faced exactly the same situation as you did - and decided we'll book one economy and one of us uses it for half the flight and switches.

Never happened that way as I ended up bringing her home alone with me anyway.

You comment "The infant is ajust along for the ride" made me chuckle - believe me, very soon, he/she will take you on a ride of your life where you'll want to give her/him to your wife in BF and relax in economy yourself
Old Jul 8, 14, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
You comment "The infant is ajust along for the ride" made me chuckle - believe me, very soon, he/she will take you on a ride of your life where you'll want to give her/him to your wife in BF and relax in economy yourself
LOL made me laugh as well! OP I have adopted 6 children from around the world and let me tell you that after you have gone through the process in china the last thing you want to do is have a hassle on the way home. The bassinet really isn't an option at the age you are adopting - so you need a seat - especially if this is your first! Trust me - you won't regret it and a few weeks after coming home you will forget how much you spent - we did!

If money is an issue then fly economy plus - otherwise get the business seat and stop worrying about it.... You will never forget your flight home as long as you live - and it has nothing to do with which cabin you are sitting in!
Old Jul 9, 14, 6:03 am
Original Poster

...believe me, very soon, he/she will take you on a ride of your life where you'll want to give her/him to your wife in BF and relax in economy yourself
Now that made me laugh!!! Thanks

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
LOL made me laugh as well! OP I have adopted 6 children from around the world and let me tell you that after you have gone through the process in china the last thing you want to do is have a hassle on the way home. The bassinet really isn't an option at the age you are adopting - so you need a seat - especially if this is your first! Trust me - you won't regret it and a few weeks after coming home you will forget how much you spent - we did!

If money is an issue then fly economy plus - otherwise get the business seat and stop worrying about it.... You will never forget your flight home as long as you live - and it has nothing to do with which cabin you are sitting in!
Everyone here says that getting a seat is the way to go. I think we'll do just that. Thank you for the comments everyone. I appreciate you keeping me sane. If money becomes an issue, maybe we will do one economy plus seat for the ride home and split the time in it. Would the FAs even permit this?

PS: even though my mind is made up, more comments are still appreciated.
Old Sep 19, 15, 12:58 pm

UA B772: issues with bulkhead seating, lap infant twins, oxygen masks.

Hi Everyone!

I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct place, if I am not please redirect me to where I should be asking this question...

My wife and I are planning to travel on a 12 hour journey with our two boys. They are twins and 6-months-old. When booking the reservation we requested the bulkhead so we can have access to bassinets. We are flying on a Boeing 777 with United. We did not pay extra for the bulkhead seats, they were given to us because the customer service rep was empathetic to our situation. We are set to sit in seats 16E and 16D with the infants on our lap. The plane we are flying has this configuration: http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._777-200_6.php

Today, I called to check in on our reservation and was told that there are only four oxygen masks for each group of three seats. Since having the twins on our lap would mean that there would be five people in the row, the airline will not let us sit next to each other.

My question(s):
Does anyone have any experience on this issue?
Is the airline likely to be strict on this issue?
I will try to get whoever is in 16C to switch with me in the seat of 16E so my wife and I can sit across the row from each other - what are good convincing tactics? If money is a good bribe - what would be considered appropriate?

Thanks in advance!
Mo
Old Sep 19, 15, 4:42 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
mkamioner, welcome to FlyerTalk! As this is specific to United's operations, policy and seating on United B-777s, it's best discussed in the dedicated forum on United. I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz and United forums.
Old Sep 19, 15, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mkamioner View Post
Does anyone have any experience on this issue?
Is the airline likely to be strict on this issue?
I will try to get whoever is in 16C to switch with me in the seat of 16E so my wife and I can sit across the row from each other - what are good convincing tactics? If money is a good bribe - what would be considered appropriate?
UA is strict when it comes to safety. So reseating will be unavoidable.

What you should do is switch to whatever seat you can find now. Since reseating will be unavoidable, you can be self-protected by moving yourself first.

16E is a middle seat. Even bulkhead, no one will want this seat.
Old Sep 19, 15, 4:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Suggested UA forum threads

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...o-infants.html (2012 but doubt anything has changed)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ant-twins.html (much older 2004)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...77-200-v7.html

plus suggest FT's Travel with Children forum for lots of helpful experiences

Bottom line, you will likely find most airlines fairly strict on the oxygen mask rule.
Old Sep 19, 15, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
16E is a middle seat. Even bulkhead, no one will want this seat.
When traveling with my wife I often take it so we're sitting together.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Bottom line, you will likely find most airlines fairly strict on the oxygen mask rule.
As well they should be.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: