FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:15 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Prospero
The taxes are hefty and by splitting your itinerary into two separate bookings, the HM treasury is dinging you twice over, first on the LHR-BLR, and again on the LHR-ORD.

The only way to avoid the UK APD charges is to book this as a single, through ticket.
I've had success having AA delete the APD on under 24 hour layovers connecting to other airlines (most recently, FI). I needed the ticket number and details for the connecting flight, and then they were able to do this and modify the fees on my ticket.

Of course LHR-BLR will incur some hefty fuel surcharges on its own.

Originally Posted by raucous
$948 fuel surcharge on RT LHR-BLR? Dont think that's accurate. Also if you price it out directly SFO-BLR taxes are not nearly this high. These are luxury taxes out of the UK for business/first class seats. ...
It's the Air Passenger Duty, an Excise Tax, that is variable depending on route length - and the standard rate is charged for seats in excess of 40" seat pitch; a reduced rate is charged for seats with pitch under 40", generally speaking, but APD is still due (assuming flights originate in the UK or connection is over 23:59) for Economy seats.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 28, 2014 at 9:23 pm