FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta waffling on transcon upgrade policy?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:07 pm
TheMadBrewer

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
It would have been a good business decision if they'd sold the seats they were previously giving away, either sold them to DMs who had been getting the UGs, or to other who would be more likely to buy the J if the cabin had the "exclusive feel" of a cabin with no freeloaders (never understood that one - who gives a toss whether a cabin has freebies?), but clearly they didn't. We DMs either sat in the back or flew with another airline with the slight possibility of an UG, which is not good either way as DL gets to sell fewer seats.
As I overheard somebody say, "They took away the upgrades from their 'best' customers and gave them to employees and buddy passes." (My quotes around 'best' -- don't want to re-open that can of worms).

A bit harsh, but not really untrue unless they actually sold the seat -- but even in that case I don't see the upgrades taking paid seats as they were almost always at the gate -- "space available."

I really don't see many people saying "instead of $500 I'll spend $2000" for a 5 hour flight. I've sprung for discounted J TATL and TPAC but we're talking much longer flights where you can actually get some sleep after the meal.