Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta waffling on transcon upgrade policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mfFrom35K
Known at this time:
- Complimentary Upgrades on premium transcon flights, namelyJFK-SFO/LAX, are no longer an available benefit for any level Medallion Elite
- Regional and/or Global Upgrade Certificates as well as Miles may be used for upgrades on premium transcon flights
- Seattle-JFK is no longer a premium transcon flight
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United, Virgin America, British Airways, JetBlue, Alaska

Is @Delta backing down from tough no-upgrade policy on transcons? http://travelskills.com/2014/06/24/delta-waffles-transcon-upgrades/ News from TravelSkills.com
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
If true, this is great. Now they need to get back all those DMs/PMs who jumped to AA.

Oh wait, that would mean more competition for upgrades. Never mind...
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This reminds me a bit of the PMNW phantom upgrades TATL and TPAC.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
very interesting, would love to get some further data points from folks as this potentially rolls out. Would make flying at off-times for leisure definitely more attractive.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:55 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I have never flown any transcon route that had the UGs taken away. But if this is true I am happy for those it does affect.

Taking away something so lucrative from the DM/PM's was a horrible business decision, IMO.

I know that if I had to criss-cross the country weekly like many of you do I would definitely switch carriers.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
If true, this is great. Now they need to get back all those DMs/PMs who jumped to AA.

Oh wait, that would mean more competition for upgrades. Never mind...
+1

(Though how can it be? That would mean that Virginia Ave is inhabited by fallible humans.)

Edit: On second thought MODS PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD. I don't want anyone else knowing if this is in fact true
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Sounds like a sensible retreat by mama Delta
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Well well well, it seems someone in management has a little common sense. Delta went way too far eliminating upgrades when AA and UA chose to still offer them. JFK-SEA should return to upgrades for everyone as DL rarely has the appropriate equipment and correct product on that flight.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Sounds like a sensible retreat by mama Delta
For an airline trying to "win" in NY, it never made any sense (unless AA did the same), regardless of the rationales given by the fanboys on this forum. We still don't know what the actual policy might be, but if they go back to providing DMs and PMs upgrades on a space available basis just prior to boarding, they will undo some of the damage they did, as well as stop it from getting worse (recall that the policy has only been in place since March 1).
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by mother-
(Though how can it be? That would mean that Virginia Ave is inhabited by fallible humans.)

^^^

I'm sure we'll get an explanation from the cadre of folks here who believe in VA Ave infallibility... and who were cheering the removal of low class UG trash and posers from the BE section.

Wasn't that the theory, exclude the hoi poilloi from BE and the upper crust were going to jump at the opportunity to enjoy the exclusivity?

Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ticketatl
Is @Delta backing down from tough no-upgrade policy on transcons? http://travelskills.com/2014/06/24/delta-waffles-transcon-upgrades/ News from TravelSkills.com
Is somebody promoting his own blog? Why yes, he is.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Is somebody promoting his own blog? Why yes, he is.
Just to be clear, are you asserting a violation of Rule 7?

Linking to content on other websites
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
This is a bit silly though - if they don't advertise it they're not going to get business that they theoretically lost (if you assume that).....
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Is this targeted at HVC DMs/PMs? The idea that there were only two upper tier elites on this flight and seats flew empty is hard to fathom. Though the article mentions a DM on a T fare.

And restricting this to DM/PMs only avoids a 100-person UG list - When did a GM or FO who wasn't on a Y fare ever land a transcend UG?

I could understand a change like this if DL restricted the UG list to those on a K+ fare. That would make the most business sense. YBM requirement would be a drag.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Didn't any of you see the post about this, this past weekend?

Someone posted, IIRC, without any real proof, other than a he said / she said from a GA. There were a few replies in speculation. Then the OP deleted the text of his original post. Then a mod deleted the entire thread into oblivion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.